Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Add it to the list...triggers
mommaange1 posted:
Yep just another thing these bipolar meds have caused. Prediabetes. There I said it and it still stings. I am like a hampster on a wheel just sitting back and collecting diseases. Every time I go around I get something else. I am tired of my life. I am not the person I was a few years ago. I am some decrepit old lady who cant even walk around the mall without beng out of wind. I give up, I am so tired. LIfe house is singing it right now, I am falling apart. I am so done....done done done. I cant live in this hot mess which I call life. I give up

mommaange1 responded:
bump

bpcookie responded:
aaawwwww poor honey. Just what you want to hear huh? You and me are two of a kind huh? I feel the same way you do, none stope illnesses

You know what I did? I got pissed off and I thought to myself "Ok, throw what ever you want at me. I can take anything because I am a Bipolar Woman". If you get angry then you will want to fight, instead of giving up. So hang in there honey, you can do it. hugs
If you can't convince them, confuse them. - President Harry S Truman

tryforever replied to bpcookie's response:
agree with cooks, get mad, but don't give up....keep at it...never give up..

These medication that we take have so many side effects, sometimes it can be overwhelming. Take each day as it comes. Even when you think you are not working towards wellness-you are....we have obstacles along the path but we find our way through it because we refuse to give up.

I say collect as much information on pre-diabetes and keep writing. I am in the health care field and know somethings about diabetes because my dad had it and I did a project on it. Sugars are not good for any of us, so try to eat small meals that follow the health food guide and start from there. There are some good sugar re-placers like 'Splenda'... Start with the main health food guide and don't be so hard on yourself.

You will prevail!

Take care,

G

ddnos responded:
Hi momma...I'm just curious, how do you (or your docs) know that this was caused by your meds?
No one is in control of your happiness but you; therefore, you have the power to change anything about yourself or your life that you want to change. - Barbara de Angelis

ddnos responded:
momma, also, I just looked on the Mayo Clinic website to read about Prediabetes and what exactly that is, and actually, this is more of a warning for you...you don't actually have diabetes, so in many ways, you can be grateful for this news because it gives you the chance to make the needed changes so that it doesn't turn into diabetes type 2, you know? It says, "There's good news, however. Prediabetes can be an opportunity for you to improve your health, because progression from prediabetes to type 2 diabetes isn't inevitable. With healthy lifestyle changes — such as eating healthy foods, including physical activity in your daily routine and maintaining a healthy weight — you may be able to bring your blood sugar level back to normal." http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/prediabetes/DS00624

Even though I definitely understand that "healthy lifestyle changes" aren't easy by no stretch of the imagination, they can be worked on. You have the benefit of this forewarning rather than one day learning that you HAVE diabetes, you know? I'm not trying to take away from how you are feeling, but to point out the good side of learning this news. It's not worth giving up for, Ok?

Hang in there
Debbie
No one is in control of your happiness but you; therefore, you have the power to change anything about yourself or your life that you want to change. - Barbara de Angelis

ddnos replied to ddnos's response:
Mamma..did you see that? I just re read the quote and it says, "...progression from prediabetes to type 2 diabetes ISN'T inevitable." See that? Prediabetes does NOT automatically mean that it will progress to diabetes! That's good news, yes?

Debbie

Dyanne48jj replied to ddnos's response:
Debbie is ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!! I know ALOT about diabetes.
No... one does not want hear prediabetes BUT be grateful you know NOW. It can be stopped!

Because diabetes ran strongly in her familyone friend of mine ate right/worked out/good health blah blah . Well she ended up prediabetic, why, listen as well BP2, because every night she had 2 glasses of wine after work! When she cut out the wine, tah dah, no pre no diabetes and that was 7 years ago and she is diabetes FREE!
I KNOW I am crazy....THAT is what keeps me from going INSANE!!! Oceans and Stars- Dyanne

Dyanne48jj replied to ddnos's response:
btw debs, ot, if you see this, hit me up on IM if you can, my email isnt working.
I KNOW I am crazy....THAT is what keeps me from going INSANE!!! Oceans and Stars- Dyanne

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 91 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.