Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Be Careful
pixe5 posted:
l want to warn people that there is someone here that is playing games with our privacy. Someone here accessed my e-mail account and read personal messages from a member here. This is very disturbing that a place that is supposed to be "safe" is not because of someone's selfishness. All I can say is be careful. I was not logging off on my account because quite honestly I never even thought this would happen.

Pixie
FirstPrevious12NextLast

ddnos responded:
how do you know it was someone here?
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

pixe5 replied to ddnos's response:
Because he/she only read e-mail(s) from someone here. All the other messages were left alone. Debbie, I sent an e-mail to you explaining more and I'd like you to read it. I don't want to scare people from the board, I am just telling people to be careful when it comes to security.

Pixie

bpcookie responded:
Hey Pixe honey, Well, this site really isnt safe. Since its a public site everything can be read and everything can be copied. There are some really sick sick ppl out there who will use our information against us. Ppl who want to play games, or want to cause harm or poison your mind against someone or just make someones life miserable. Its not the first time this has happened. It has happened many many times. Its happened to me too.

Be careful when you post your email addy here. Also, save the email that was sent to you. If you feel safe enough to send an email back, then send a cease and desist to this person. Also save the cease and desist email. If they continue to email you they are breaking the law, it doesnt matter if they live in your state or not. This is harassment and cyber bullying according to police and a lawyer I talked to. Then the police officer told me to copy everything and give him the copies. If this person continues, then eventually they will be in a whole lot of trouble.

Thank you so much for the warning hun and Im so sorry that this has happened to you.

p.s. Im very very careful now when it comes to emails. I just received and email today from a very close friend, but I did not recognize the email addy, so to be safe I posted a msg here, asking her if she did, indeed, email me. Just to be safe.
If you can't convince them, confuse them. - President Harry S Truman

pixe5 replied to bpcookie's response:
Thank you Cookie for your info. I will keep it in mind. However this person did not send an email, rather he read an email. I'm open to suggestions but I am not sure that there is anyway to trace him.

Pixie

bpcookie replied to pixe5's response:
hhhhmmmm well honey, eventually this person will mess up and you will have the proof you will need. you may have to become a bit inventive in order to catch him. Hopefully he wont be bothering you again. You poor honey. I feel for ya

ddnos replied to pixe5's response:
did read, and wrote back, cus still have questions
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

bpcookie replied to pixe5's response:
Once I found a site on google where they had copied posts from this board and put it on THAT site. Word for word. That site is still doing it too. They can get away with it because this bipolar board is not private.

Also, there was another site that I found on google that copied some posts of mine and slikitty's and put it on their site. The site sells medications. They were using our posts to sell their meds. LOL. They even went as far as to change things that we actually wrote. One thing that they wrote, using my name, was something about me smoking pot. Then it said that I retracted what I said. I dont even smoke pot, nor do I even like the smell of it lol. Although these ppl lied, me and slik had to laugh about the none sense that they were writing. We just kinda blew it off. Told each other that we are sooooo popular.

Go to google and google your screen name. You will be surprised as to what you will find.

Chris_WebMD_Staff replied to bpcookie's response:
It's a good reminder. We are not a private site. So please remember that everything here can be read by thousands of people! Good to keep in mind.
I'm sorry this happened Pixe!
Chrissy~ Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly. Author Unknown

Indiaguerita responded:
While I do not doubt the presence of hackers in our presence...I find it hard to believe that they hacked into your personal e-mails...That's pretty hard to do nowadays.

Unless, you are using a public computer to check your e-mails and forgot to log-out.

How could a member of the board possibly hack into your e-mails? Have you given your e-mail address out?

bpcookie replied to Indiaguerita's response:
Actually, it can be done. My husband works with computers and he is always warning me about emails. So, if I dont recognize the email, I wont open it and I especially wont reply to it. From what my husband says, there are many different ways that someone can hack into your computer. Also many ways for them to get your private information.

Ever see those emails that go around, the ones that friends forward to all of their friends, where it asks all kinds of personal info. Things like:

Your First Name:

Your pets name:

Your age:

Where you were born:

Other states that you have lived in:

Your mothers first name:

Birth Date:

Favorite color:

Nick Names"

All that info. someone can use to steal your identity.

Something that seems so very harmless and even fun to do can be so very dangerous.

IrwinsLady replied to bpcookie's response:
found everything about me on Google
-Hi I am outta my mind right now so if you leave a message I will get back to you the minute I claim my sanity back. BEEEEEP!

bpcookie replied to IrwinsLady's response:
Yup. I can find posts that I have written from 3 yrs ago. Its all at your finger tips. Also, if you google your real name, you will find all kinds of stuff too. You can find your home address, phone number and even look at your house on a satellite map.

I typed in my address once and looked at the satellite map and I can zoom in so close, that I could see my red Mustang really well.

Indiaguerita replied to bpcookie's response:
You wanna see something super-creepy??? Go to Google Images and type in Indiaguerita.

Everyone who's ever responded to me on WebMD pops up there...

Crazy.

slik_kitty replied to Indiaguerita's response:
ooooooohhhhhhh. that's creepy. although my pic isn't up there.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Differentiating bipolar disorder from borderline personality disorderExpert
Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which people can very easily become angry and upset in response to stresses -- especially ... More
Was this Helpful?
109 of 126 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.