Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Severe Rapid Cycling Bipolar & ADHD , Intense Panic Attacks
doxielover10 posted:
Dear Dr. G,

I used to get some pretty bad panic attacks which seemed to come and go. A few months ago I arrived DEAD ON ARRIVAL IN COMPLETE RENAL FAILURE WITH A LITHIUM TOX LEVEL OF 9..I checked my levels every four weeks and 2 weeks before this disaster my levels were 1.0.- To this day we have no idea what triggered the lithium. Last week I was diagnosed with RA..

I have always been somewhat jumpy but I completed all of my education, Rode horses all around the world in competitive jumping. I have every license you can have in swimming, I lived right up the street on Madison from Mt. Sinai. and worked on Wall Street. We believe I have been bipolar since I was 11..

My hugest concern is that after the renal failure, it seems that my life has gone down the drain. I had to quit my job, got disability and sat at home. The anxiety and/or panic attacks started about 2 years ago. I have been going through a lot and I could never find an adequate medication.

It seems as if the older I get more dreadful disorders appear.. I had to have surgery on a gland in my neck which was done at MD Anderson Hospital, the whole thing turned into a horrific mess. About 5 days of being home, I woke up one morning and I WAS COVERED AND I MEAN COVERED WITH HUGE ROUND OPEN BLOODY SORES.

I had the sores biopsied , which came back as simplex chronicus due to extreme anxiety, three months later I still have the sores . I feel like I'm vibrating all the time, I keep having on and off not sleeping for 3 or 4 days which is not bipolar friendly.I have changed completely since the renal failure, everyone is just amazed. Now I want to go into a hole and just be left alone. Am I a wackjob with a 167 IQ.

The lithium also evaporated my thyroid but I had taken every drug on the market and I was given the option of ECT or lithium and I was just so scared of the ECT, I fought kicking and screaming to take lithium.

Is my life over ? I will not go anywhere except to my doctor's office and I've gotten so jumpy I just stay in my room.

I would like to know what you thin ?

Sincerely,

Allison
I am just shaking all the time now , is there hope for me ?

IrwinsLady responded:
im sorry you have gone through all of that i really am. i may not have any advice or insight but i just want you to know that there IS always hope.
-Sick of it all. I wish it would all disappear!

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Screen out people who can't seem to "get it"....
There are some people who can't or won't understand at all. My wife is bipolar, and some people are more understanding than others. We ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 40 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.