Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Includes Expert Content
Can medications cause body odor? Looking for help!
An_189073 posted:
Can lithium cause a body to have odor it would not normally have? How about other medications for depression or sleep aides? Is lithium helpful for someone with bipolar who is at the low end of this condition? What can be done if it is a presciption related problem?Thanks

An_189074 responded:
Is no one able to answer this? I posted it almost two days ago, on the depression board too. I am serious about the question, can someone answer or does anyone know? Thanks!

Joseph F Goldberg, MD responded:
Dear Anon,

I have never heard of lithium or other psychotropic drugs causing body odor. Would probably have your doctor or dermatologist evaluate this for other possible explanations.

Dr. G.

An_189075 replied to Joseph F Goldberg, MD's response:
Thank you very much for taking the time to share. There's definitely something causing it, individual is clean, clothes are clean, it just seems to be coming from them when we are inside close quarters like the car or sitting next to one another and I'm not sure where it's coming from! Can't imagine an after shave would turn on a person but just maybe...

It does help to know your thoughts on the matter, at least we can look for other culprits and try to solve this thing once & for all. Again, thanks for taking my question seriously.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 91 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.