Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Religious Delusions
sonic77 posted:
Is anyone else out there experiencing relious delusions. Beliefs that are not normal when you tell other people. Beliefs that are real as u and I. When I go thru a manic episode. I can hardly decide if it is real or not. Any one........

bptwin responded:
Sonic,

Are the delusions religious? I don't get manic very often, but when I do I often have a form of a delusion where I take something that is real and spin it into all of these "deeper meanings" that are quite delusional.

WolfFaerie responded:
Hi Sonic77! If you're meaning religious delusions like believing in wolves or animal spirits that are guides and more. I've not xperienced mania like some of the other poster's on here but I've always believe in animal spirits or guides even though I'm a Christian.

For me, the wolves seem more real than people at times which is likely to be delusional state. I've talked with many people and some that believe in this like I do. Sometimes reality and fanasty are often blurred for me. I don't know if that is mania or not.

Wolf

pixe5 replied to WolfFaerie's response:
[TRIGGER] TRIGGER TRIGGER---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes Sonic I have. When I was 16 I thought God wanted me to kill myself. A few years ago I had a manic episode and I thought I was very spiritualy enlightened. What a disappointment when I came down.

Pixie

ibex7 responded:
Hi sonic,

I've been at this for 30 years and have found a way that can lead back to self control.

Key is to re-think the delusional process, then decide if the outcome is rational. In other words, test your thoughts a second time. Thoughts of flighty thinking don't usually give me the same conclusions. Not a reliable medical opinion, but the best I can offer you. -Ibex

Ljeanf responded:
I did for quite a while. I thought I had this big mission to accomplish for God. And I thought it involved me dying a young death as a sacrifice for Him. That stopped after I started taking meds.

Wooster2 responded:
Hi, sonic77.

I have experienced illusions and delusions that had to do with religion. I am not religious, was not religious, and the closest I came was in relation to my psychotic delusions while very depressed.

It is an interesting question, to say the least I think, to ask, "How many miraculous appearances and other traditional evidence for religions can be attributed to delusional states in those who testified for them?"

Could you please give us some examples, both for our edification and so we can better judge whether they are delusions?

Bertie

Daveywavy responded:
My wife told me years ago while out of town that she climbed a church steeple and "saw the face of God." It was a time of flighty speech, little sleep, and massive weight loss, too. So I think it was mania. Sounds like that to me.

Daveywavy

ibex7 replied to Wooster2's response:
Well Wooster,

Let's say that sonic77's delusions are myths or are they based on legends? Would we as a society be better off debunking the myths, or learning ethics from the legends they teach us? You be the judge. -Ibex

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
67 of 90 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.