Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Includes Expert Content
Dr. G....med question
lovesmygizmo posted:
Hi i know i should be talking to my pdoc but that is pretty much impossible until my appt,anyhoo i talked to my therapist and she knew all the trouble i was having and about the pristiq not working even after he doubled the dose so she talked to the nurse, i go to the county mental health center and they have everyone there.lol, ok anyway she called me and asked what was going on so i told her about the horrible depression suicidal thoughts and she said she would call my pdoc, he's only there on mondays, so i wasnt excepting her to call back for awhile but she called back almost right away and told me she talk to him and he wanted to do a few things one was stay on the pristiq cause i hadnt been on that dose long enough to see if it would work,i know some meds can take awhile to fully kick in, but she said he was gonna add risperdal 1/2mg twice a day i have never been on it but i have been on plent of other anti-psycotics to know i hate them they make me feel weird and that feeling gets worse and worse and i stop them, with my dr's ok, but i was in a desparate situation and it was only getting worse so i agreed to give it a try and even tho i have only had 3 doses, 2 yesterday then this morning, my whole attitude as changed my has done a 180 and i dont have that weird feeling or the anxiousness that usually comes with those types of meds is there something different about risperdal or is this probably just a normal bipolar mood swing that just happen to come about at the same time i started this med....i know you cant say or know excalty which one it is but i would like to know a little more about risperdal.....any info would be helpful thank you in advance

wendy

Joseph F Goldberg, MD responded:
Dear Wendy, adding a low dose of any antipsychotic, such as this, to an antidepressant, can help diminish agiitation. There is nothing especially different about risperidone in this respect relative to all the other antipsychotics. Dr. G.

SFGiantsgirl responded:
I was on a low dose of risperdal it took my two week to get use to it I was sleepy all the time. It was okay, but I decided to get of of it for fear of gaining weight and being tired all the time. Hang in there.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
67 of 90 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.