Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Day after Manic episode Trigger
Ljeanf posted:
Last night was a suicidal night. I made it through. But I am a rapid cycler. I don't know what tonight holds. But I feel so drained now that I am not in mania. Anyone else out there feel like they got hit by a bus after coming outta mania? I went to the doctor yesterday to get a med change. I have was diagnosed 8 months ago and we still cant find the right meds. How long did it take for you to get the right meds? Is it normal for it to take this long?

Mandi_moo1982 responded:
Hi Ljeanf,
I can tell you that I am hypomanic but just coming out of those cycles is draining to me so I can only image that it is the same for you. if not worse. I have been seeing medical professionals for about 3 years now and 3 weeks ago I was finally dx bp2. I am on new meds now and in the last 3 yrs I have been on many different combinations. only one worked a little for me and that was cymbalta it was working ok for a little while and then I fell into a deep depression so I can say just calm as you can be. I know there were days that I just could not believe that there is not a mircle drug out there for everyone to feel great all the time.

SFGiantsgirl responded:
It took me over a year to find the right meds.

tryforever responded:
Hi there,

Very probable that it will take some time. Medications usually kick in within 4-6 weeks, but it can take some time to find the right one/good combo.

I posted last week about how I feel like the rug keeps being pulled out from under me, but that is the nature of the illness. Things are never uneventful all the time for everyone, everyone has things going on. I seem to intensify my up and down days because of my negative thought processes, but we can unlearn these bad thought patterns.

Stay positive and find out what works for you (what medications, what environments etc...) It would be very proactive to figure out what triggers you and avoid these situations. This was the hardest thing for me to figure out. After having this diagnosis for seven years I have learned that I will have my up and down days...but its all worth it!

Good luck to you,

L

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

JUST BREATHE!!!!
I did it! I'm where I need to be. I'm in waiting room, listining to a suggested song~ Fast Car ~ My all time fav. Thanks for the reminder. ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.