Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Who Understands You?
Chris_WebMD_Staff posted:
Who supports you the most when you find yourself struggling with Bipolar?
Do you have someone you can lean on, someone that understands you best?
We all need someone to count on, lean on, who is there for you?
Chrissy~

Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
Author Unknown

ddnos responded:
my therapist
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

DizzyJgirl responded:
This board.

Sad to say, I don't really have anyone in my "real" life that "gets it". I would say my pdoc but unfortunately, she is no longer my pdoc.
Live Life Loud

Supa_Kay responded:
I have a really close friend that really gets me and is always there, but recently she has confided some stuff in me that just sounds so much like bp 1 so I've been trying to support her in going to get evaluated. I think she gets it cause she lives it.....

Other than that I don't really don't depend on others for support aside from this board. Real life people just suck sometimes

Hugs for my BP supporters ~ Tessa
To the power higher above... Please keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand around my mouth, Amen!

bpcookie responded:
The ppl on this board are some of my greatest supporters with Bipolar and all my other health issues. They never fail me. My husband supports me and understands when Im having difficulty. When Im having a rough time I can call my biological mother, she is great.

Thanks to you all
If people think Bipolars are crazy, then show them we really are. Just go up to somebody on the street and say "You're it!" and just run away!!

WolfFaerie responded:
My therapist Mike, my best friend Amy, and the board really understand me and what I go thru.

Thanks for all of the support everyone!
Wolf

HeidiSue3 responded:
My husband really tries to support me however I really do not think it gets it when I am really having a bad day and how really difficult it can be for me to even possibly get out of bed. Even though on those he is okay with me calling out on FMLA leave. Lots of times he says try and go to work and see what happens which is good because sometimes I can kick it out and make it for all the day if not a good portion of it. But then there are days I just think he is so far off base on understanding.

The biggest person I lean on is my Pdoc because he seems to have the patience to listen and understand my struggles and not just treat me like a number.
Heidi

emy0312 replied to Supa_Kay's response:
Nobody understands me. sucks because im only 17 and i dont understand myself i just found out im bipolar. My family calls me crazy all the time now im starting to believe i am.

dibbits0530 responded:
the people on this board understand the best. my family has no comprehension of my bipolar at all. i have been married for twenty(almost) three years and they do not have any comprehension. my brother and my cousins don't even bother to fathom it. it is beyond them of course i cannot speak for my one cousin who has two children who are bipolar. for my brother though, it is my problem. my situation.
my only problem with this board is that i have no consistent way of getting to it. my daughter has internet (for now) i do not. i suppose i could go to the public library and sit and wait for a computer to become free. my phone gets internet but i cannot edit the boards from it. wish webmd would get their act together and make that a reality, it would be so much nicer.

david

margaroo replied to dibbits0530's response:
This board is my bipolar family. I know that there is always someone here who has been through whatever I am going through at the time.

My husband is wonderful. It really came as a shock that he can tell that I am stressed or my mood is starting to change before I do. Before I was diagnosed, he wasn't always so supportive, but I am really blessed that he has my back.

Maggie
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

36Lorie responded:
I do i have bipolar and i have been dealing with it ever since i was born. and my husband helps me and it also helps to have a church that i have friends that love me for me but it is hard to explain to people what Bipolar Disorder is.

jselleck replied to 36Lorie's response:
My husband supports me the most. He grew up in a bipolar family and supported me getting treatment in the first place. Since we got married and I moved in with him I've put him through hell and back again but he's stood by me no matter what. Don't know what I'd do without him. Love ya sweetie.

hounds1 responded:
My dear, dear husband has been by my side through 4 severe manic episodes...each time, in psychosis, I have threatened to divorce him...he stands by and waits until the mania ends, as he knows I don't mean it. I am just very, very ill. I am very fortunate to have him.

talkhelp replied to hounds1's response:
Hello- I have no one to support me. My boyfriend of 3 years does not understand me at all. He gets very frustrated and pushes me away during my intense maniac break down. It is hard to stomach knowing that he could have just hug me, and it'd have magically freed me from my 'hideous moment'. He did the opposite instead. I am helpless, but not feeling depressed most of my days, as I function very normal until the disorder hits me occassionally.

sledge17 responded:
Hi Chrissy:

I dont have anyone; of course there are my parents but they cant understand what I am going through and when I am up everything is wonderful when I am down they cant get it.

I wish I had someone I could talk to on a regular basis; I see my therapist once a week, my psych doc about every 2-3 weeks and my primary care doc once a month. But on a daily basis I dont have anyone to turn to or as you put it count/lean on.

Maggie

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Patience for the Holidays and every day life
Tips 1. Boredom can make it difficult to be patient. If you're waiting in the doctor's office and the only thing you can concentrate on is ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.