Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
SEVERE BREAKDOWN I AM SO DEPRESSEC OVER HOW I LOOK
doxielover10 posted:
I have always been a huge fashion plate, I would never leave the house without every hair in place. Now I'm fighting bipolar disorder and a very severe mental and emotional breakdown.

I caught sight of myself in the mirror the other day and I cried for hours, my husband was so worried he wanted me to go to the ER. In my life I have NEVER, EVER neglected my appearance until I started bipolar medication and it made me gain weight .

Has anyone else gone through this ? If so please help me because I must stay in the house or I'm risking my life.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

THANK YOU
ALLISON

Supa_Kay responded:
Oh Allison,
I wish I was with you right now. My kids might make it worse on you, but I would love to just sit and have a drink with you... Give you hugs till you're all better. If only it worked like that hu?

I have never been the fashionable type but most of my family is and I know how hard it is when you've had that mind set for so long. The only thing I can tell you is that I have never seen one of your perfectly placed hairs or uniformly painted lashes, and I know you are beautiful and I wouldn't want anything about you to change. I know with the breakdown you cannot be up and exercising and I know you have had a lot of physical limitations placed too... so I can recommend some small things that may help lose a little weight, but the weight put on from these meds is a total beotch to take off.

My old athletic trainer explained it like this. Imagine your metabolism is a fire while you are out camping. To keep the fire lit you cannot just wait till it smolders then through giant logs on top of it to try to re~light the flame, you will just smolder it. You constantly have to feed the fire while it's still burning, even adding some kindling to it every so often. How this translates is you need to train yourself to develop a diet that never allows you to become fully hungry or completely full. You start "the fire" with breakfast (all the big important stuff goes in here). Then attempt 4 meals following breakfast. Now this doesn't mean full meals like the breakfast, just enough to keep "the fire" going ie half a sandwich, 4 or 5 crackers with tuna, even a handful of berries can count as one of your meals. Believe it or not, dinner is suppose to be the smallest meal you have throughout the day.

Perhaps this is all just blah blah right now, and I really wish there was more I could do for you. The only other thing I could say and it's probably not the healthiest way is by taking up fat free yogurt. When I want to drop 5 lbs real quick I just eat yogurt for a week and nothing else, with that the weight always comes back as soon as you get back to regular diet though.

Idk girl, BIG HUGS, and please try not to be too down on yourself, you are a beautiful amazing person!~Tessa
To the power higher above... Please keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand around my mouth, Amen!

pixe5 responded:
Hi Allison,

I am sorry that you are going through this. I am a bit confused though about why your doc told you not to leave the house. Taking time off work is one thing, but why would you be risking your life by going out? In general it is not a good idea to isolate yourself from others. If you can find a friend or family member who understands what you are going through, then it would be a good idea to go out to lunch or to do some other non-stressful activity. I have found that staying home for me is poison!!

Unless there is something I am missing such as a physical disablility I think that it would be a good idea to ask your doc to clarify this issue for you.

Take care,

Pixie

ddnos replied to pixe5's response:
I agree with Pixie on both counts, i.e. being a bit confused, and that isolating is the worse thing a person can do. Maybe you can expound on your situation a bit?

Take care
Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

melly2210 responded:
The weight gain with these meds TOTALLY stinks, but they're necessary in order for us to maintain our mental and emotional health.

I've never been a fashionplate either, so I don't fully relate, BUT just because you have to shop a larger size doesn't mean you have to give up being fashionable. Above and beyond dieting, maybe getting out and picking out a couple of outfits you like that flatter your current figure would help. Spend a day if you can pampering yourself with a new haircut or color or just have it shampoo'd and styled. Get a mani and pedi with a massage chair. If you can't afford it, then invite a couple girlfriends over and do the whole girls night. Paint your nails and toes. Do each other's hair. Watch a good chic flick. Have them help you put together a couple outfits that look fantastic on you too.

Just remember...big girls are beautiful too! This comes from one big girl to another who's struggling. I'm sure there are several of us here who've looked in the mirror and thought...UGGGHHH. This is how I've combatted it in the past. Lots of hugs.......and don't isolate. Things will only get worse.
Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops... at all. ~Emily Dickinson

IrwinsLady responded:
used to be just like you. i used to be a size 5 now im a 22 bc of the medications, and no it doesnt make me happy. all i can say is what i do and i hope it works for you. i work out when i can, i have smaller meals and drink plenty of liquids, and when i go out i dress my best and do my hair and make-up and tell myself i am attractive just the way i am.
-Sick of it all. I wish it would all disappear!

TifferLynn responded:
I understand how you feel very very much. To look into a closet full of cloths that you feel you may never get back into. (Feel being the key word) I just took in stride the fact that I was never going to get back into those clothes. So, I would just have to go and buy all new cloths that made me look and feel better. Now I'm not saying toss tons of cash into this, but have a good time. I bounce between Gap and Old Navy (though it depends on your personal style) because they have "extened" sizes, same thing more beathing room. This will also force you out of your house, but to do something fun. Drag the hubby along just to make him look like a dop holding all your stuff.
Then when you have all your fun new things, you can make sure every hair is in place with a nice clip the matchs your new shoes.
Just be glad you don't have it like me!! With my psoriasis it's rough to wear some clothes. And since it's on my head too(eeeeew) I can't have every hair in place. My once perfectly spiked hair now looks like a pompom. But life stomps on, and we work with what we've got. Women always figure something out. I now used Anveeno baby lotion to style me hair. Hey, it works!
~I have to do the best I can,to live my life...

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Patience for the Holidays and every day life
Tips 1. Boredom can make it difficult to be patient. If you're waiting in the doctor's office and the only thing you can concentrate on is ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.