Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Nuvigal or Provigal
pixe5 posted:
Hi all,

I am going to see my sleep doc who diagnosed me with sleep apnea to see if he can prescibe Nuvigal or Provigal for me. In addition to giving you more energy I have heard that it can help with bipolar depression.

Has anyone here tried it for depression? Does it work?

Pixie

Take the Poll

Have you tried either of these drugs and do they help?
  • Provigal has helped me with depression
  • Nuvigal has helped me with depression
  • Neither have worked
  • I have not tried either one
vote
View Poll Results

Mandi_moo1982 responded:
Hi pixe I have been on nuvigal and now I am off it. I was on it because I could not wake up enough at work. it helped alot to wake me up but it gave me a migrine so my pdoc does not have me taking it right now.

ddnos responded:
Hi Pixie,

As you know, I take Provigil, and though I don't take it for depression, it definitely DOES help me re that!

When I take Provigil, it not only keeps me from sleeping excessively, but it elevates my mood. I've had times where I've wakened in a good mood, and then within 5-20 minutes, I practically shut down both physically and emotionally...when I take a provigil during those times, because it doesn't work instantly, I will take one, go to bed (sound strange, huh? lol) and then sleep for about an hour, wake up a new person! It does that even when it's not that extreme - I know I will need to take one in the morning, am feeling a bit blah, then within maybe a half hour or so, my mood is elevated. But you don't feel like you're on drugs - in fact, you can't tell you're on anything (physically speaking) - it just works. THough of course, I do realize that it's not going to work for everyone. But it's been a life saver for me! It saved me from losing my job back in '07. I take it on as needed basis - lately a bit more than usual, but that's because I'm not working.

GOod luck!

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

Anneinside responded:
Do you have a cpap machine? I also have sleep apnea and medication has never been discussed, just regular use of the cpap. It works well and after awhile it has become easy to use.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Need some advice...
I am 32 with a wonderful family and just found out that I am bipolar. 20 days ago they left me due to one of my outburst. I need them back ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 15 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.