Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Has anyone ever tried to tell you they know how you feel?
jamireles1 posted:
I am not all that open with people about being Bipolar, but those that I have told seem to think they have experienced what I feel. I don't lash out because I don't know what they've been through, but if I have the sense enough to think through my reply, why not them. It's irritating when a friend, co-worker or even my wife tell me, "yeah, I know how you feel"...... NO you don't. Things stay in my head much longer than theirs. Sometimes, hours or even days. So when something negative is said to me, it sticks around alot longer, whereas with others that are not so blessed with BP, tend to let it roll off.

skypper responded:
Actually people have and I agree that I usually try to think through my replies too, though sometimes I can be more impulsive. I've recently come across just such a circumstance and it's irritating to say the least.
~Sky~ If you are struggling, please talk to someone. There are good and kind people in this world. There is love to know

Dyanne48jj responded:
Hello,

Alot of people think bipolar just equals 'typical depression' imo. Therefore they think, oh i have been depressed and he will get over it.
That is SO not the case of course.
I have only told a hand full of people. I consider it personal and no more their business than how much money is in my chequing account!

I finally told my step daughter about a year ago. One day we were talking and she said what is wrong. I just said 'oh i'm a bit depressed' I even made light of it but i knew it was bp. She said 'why' again i just lightly said 'i dont know' then she responds...'well just snap out of it then' In a very sarcastic voice i said " ahhh honey, THANK you so much I had NOT thought of doing that" needless to say, that concluded our conversation.

Just carefully choose who you tell.
Your wife though needs to read some literature. Maybe you can even print some from online sources for her.

Take care of you!
Remember its the ones with lesser skilled minds than ours who drive us madd
I KNOW I am crazy....THAT is what keeps me from going INSANE!!! Oceans and Stars- Dyanne

Supa_Kay responded:
yes I feel the same way sometimes... There are few girls that I talk to that swear they are bipolar or say "people tell me all the time that I'm bipolar" simply because they have a bad attitude. It makes me extremely mad because I really live it and they truly have no idea. But all I can do is smile and walk away, I don't give those people more fuel for their fire by telling them whats really going on. I guess they can live in lala land where everyone is born with a PhD hu?

I remember things from years ago that I will still hold against people, but through therapy I try not to dwell and if I don't deal with my problems while they are fresh then I try to just let it go when it comes back to the surface, or i just end up hurting people.... even if they hurt me first, bipolar or not, I have no intentions of hurting anyone. I just want to live ya know.

Sorry you're facing ignorance it sux but yeah I think it is something we all have to deal with from uneducated (about the illness) people.
To the power higher above... Please keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand around my mouth, Amen!

Dyanne48jj replied to Supa_Kay's response:
I was JUST thinking of you! hope you are feeling alot better Tessa.
(sorry, not highjacking post just giving Tessa a shout out)
I KNOW I am crazy....THAT is what keeps me from going INSANE!!! Oceans and Stars- Dyanne

Supa_Kay replied to Dyanne48jj's response:
Hey Dy,
Today was the first day I tried to go without painkillers and it has not been fun at all. Ive just been crying all day. The kids dad is at work so I have 3 tots runnin about, no way I can take medicine now till he gets home. 2 more hours then hopefully the pain will stop long enough for me to fall asleep. Thanks so much for thinkin of me though and I hope to be back soon. {{{{{{{{{{{{{{Dy))))))))))))) P.S. sorry bout your foot, hope youre feelin better soon as well.
To the power higher above... Please keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand around my mouth, Amen!

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
67 of 90 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.