Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Chemical Imbalance Test
1AkathisiA posted:
I wanted a "Chemical imbalance test" ! !

Psychiatry's diagnostic criteria are literally voted into existence and inserted into the American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual for Mental Disorders (DSM). What is voted in is a system of classification of symptoms that is drastically different from, and foreign to, anything in medicine. None of the diagnoses are supported by objective evidence of physical disease, illness, or science.

THATS WHY NO CHEMICAL IMBALANCE TEST

Anneinside responded:
Long ago there was no test for diabetes but diabetes still existed. Not having a medical tests does not mean something doesn't exist, it just means we don't have a chemical test.

Supa_Kay responded:
What is not different from medical science is the methods used for conducting the research. Psychiatry falls into the category of natural science, so, while today, our "sciences" may not be advanced enough to test for imbalances in chemicals that effect our brains the same way they can test our blood for foreign bodies, someday they may. However, something that psychiatry does take into account, possibly more than any other type of science, is that each person is affected differently by each different chemical in the body. This is what creates the problem with chemical testing.

Also, there are physical symptoms that stem from psychiatric disorders, notably physical pain. Tdocs, pdocs, and PCP all take physical symptoms of pain as a possible result from psychiatric issues.

Finally, there do exist some chemical tests today, but they are typically used after a medicine regimen is started and right before some others are started, this is because the fluctuation can be monitored and behaviors can be monitored as parallels. So, yes psychiatry is still young as a science, but it is one, the same as it is a physical disease/illness. But you are correct it is not a physical science, it's a natural science.
To the power higher above... Please keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand around my mouth, Amen!

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
67 of 90 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.