Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Includes Expert Content
"Recovery" in need of professional opinion
jojo2009 posted:
Hi,

My question has to do with the word recovery. I know mental illnesses can take form in or be the cause of many addictions. Including alcoholism and drug abuse, as well as self-injury and eating disorders. With the above disorders, "recovery" is a huge, profound term. I believe in recovery.

But these things are behavioral. I'm wondering about the mental illness itself from the medical, biochemical standpoint. Does the word recovery apply?

That is, can one be in recovery from bipolar disorder, panic disorder, schizophrenia, depression, and/or borderline personality disorder?
Or are these just plain illnesses whose symptoms are controllable with therapy and medication (if need be)?

This topic really hits home with me and I've been wondering for quite some time!

Thank you

Jordan

ddnos responded:
Hi Jordan,

Have a look at the following sites, which I think, explain a lot - much better than what I could.

https://www.choicesinrecovery.com/about?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Mental Disorders&utm_term=mental%20health%20recovery&utm_content=Mental Health Recovery|mkwid|sjxVcOrE4|pcrid|8616239287

http://www.mhrecovery.com/definition.htm

http://www.kingcounty.gov/healthservices/MentalHealth/Recovery/10FundCompRecovery/10Fundamentals.aspx
You can`t change what people are without destroying who they were
--The Butterfly Effect

tryforever responded:
I also believe in recovery. I think for anyone with or without a mental illness, recovery is a long and difficult process. It is known that many people with mental illness's are prone to addiction, but I believe that every addict (mental illness or not) has symptoms that they must control. Being in recovery from addiction when having a mental illness is not considered being in recovery from the mental illness. I don't think you can bunch them together so simply. So I would agree that the word recovery does apply. Not everyone with a mental illness suffers from addictions. I would try not to think of it as a symptom...just thoughts...

L

Anneinside responded:
I think in mental illness the word recovery is equal to in remission.

BipolarDisorder2 replied to Anneinside's response:
I don't know if I really believe in 'recovery' in terms of being free from a mental illness or no longer having symptoms. With Bipolar, I am symptom-free for varying periods of time, and it seems like I'm 'better' (HA...not) and in 'recovery'. The truth is, it's dormant and I'm not better, and therefore nto in recovery and not free from the illness at all.

I don't know if that makes sense, but that's how I see it.

ddnos replied to BipolarDisorder2's response:
"Mental health recovery is a journey of healing and transformation enabling a person with a mental health problem to live a meaningful life in a community of his or her choice while striving to achieve his or her full potential."... "Resiliency is the ability to bounce back after adversity... Resiliency is innate and can be learned."

"Recovery means remembering who you are and using your strengths to become all you were meant to be. Similar to living with an illness such as diabetes or asthma, mental health recovery requires a person to become an active partner in finding and maintaining their own wellness. The principles of recovery empower individuals to reach for their dreams and find hope in tomorrow. There is no single definition for recovery. Recovery is unique to each individual and is based on what recovery means to you."

"One of the key principles of recovery oriented mental health services is that each person must have a voice and a choice about their own goals for recovery. You are the expert in your experience, in what you want for your life and in what helps you to recover. Your voice and choices should be obvious in your mental health recovery plan, sometimes called a treatment plan or a goal planner."

http://www.kingcounty.gov/healthservices/MentalHealth/Recovery/10FundCompRecovery.aspx
You can`t change what people are without destroying who they were
--The Butterfly Effect

Joseph F Goldberg, MD responded:
Perhaps "remission" would be a more accurate term than recovery -- akin to other medical conditions that we don't so much cure as manage, like high blood pressure, or Lupus, or arthritis, or Herpes, or asthma....Never "recovered" but often "in recovery," or, symptoms are quiet for the moment.

- Dr. G.

BipolarDisorder2 replied to Joseph F Goldberg, MD's response:
I like that a lot, Dr. G...it makes perfect sense. Thank you!! And isn't 'quiet for the moment' a beautiful sentence!? LOL It's like you get a break...wish I had more 'breaks'...

Anneinside responded:
Bipolar, panic disorder, schizophrenia and depression all have periods of remission, or what you might call recovery when we are symptom free. Whether it is because of medications, therapy, or just happens is unknown. A personality disorder is different from the others and is on a different axis in the DSM. It is an inappropriate (can't really come up with the right word) way of dealing with life. Therapy can help with a personality disorder. I don't know if remission applies to a personality disorder.

jojo2009 responded:
Thank you so much everybody for your input!

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

TO DROP MY WEIGHT, I DROPPED THE DIET SOFT DRINKS.
Been on Zonegran for about five years and a type II diabetic for 35 years using metaformin and insulin. It appears the jury is in for me on ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 10 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.