Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Lab Test Results/ Something You Need To Know
bpcookie posted:
I had blood work done to test my hormone lvls. So I called my Gyno today to get the results and the nurse told me that she isnt allowed to give them out. She said I need to make an apt and talk to the Gyno direct. I dont have an apt. till next month. So I called the lab company and they told me that they can not give me the results because Arizona is NOT a right to know state.

Unreal!!!!! Its my friggin lab work, its my friggin results, its my body and I want to know whats going on. Since Im just a stupid patient who has no rights, I have to put 100% of my trust into my Dr. I have to trust that she will read the results correctly, that she will diag. me correctly, that she will put me on the correct meds. So I wont be able to research any of this on my own. I should have the right to do so.

Putting 100% of our trust in our Dr.s is like putting 100% of our trust into the Government and we already know the result of that.
After twelve years of therapy my psychiatrist said something that brought tears to my eyes. He said, No hablo ingles.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

ddnos responded:
Cookie, one consolatoin when they don't give you results right way, its typically because there's nothing bad wrong.

But actually, it's true re nurses and technicions not being able to give results for privacy reasons and also, they are not qualified to (usually) to read the answers. They could be held liable were they to give an inaccurate test result to someone, which is another reason they don't do it.

So, as much as it drives us crazy, it's really for ours and their safety and protection (and privacy) that certain professoinals can't give results.

Sometimes you might be able to leave a message with your doctor to have her call you back witht the resutls - just tell the receptionist that you can't afford to pay another co payment just to find out the results. If you have to come in for actual treatment, then that's something else, but to come in for results along can be done over the phone. I would let them know that you don't want to make another appt because you ca't afford to keep paying the co pays, and could she please have your doctor call you back. Worth a try.

Hang in there
Debbie
You can`t change what people are without destroying who they were
--The Butterfly Effect

bpcookie replied to ddnos's response:
Well my Gyno will not give me the results over the phone so I have no other choice but to see her in person. I do have an apt. in Nov. to get the results. So I have to wait THAT long.

As for Az.'s not having the right to their own lab work, I totally do not agree with that, AT ALL. Everybody should have the right to their lab work, x-rays, CT scans, MRI's, etc. Even if there is nothing wrong, I should still have the rights to my results. Even if I dont understand the results, they are still mine.

This reminds me of other stupid Az. laws such as:

Hunting camels is prohibited

donkeys cant sleep in bath tubs

You are not allowed to have more than two (pos. trig) bbuuurrrr bbbuuurrrrrssss in a house.

If you bother bull frogs or cotton tails, you will be fined

Men and women over the age of 18 may not have more than one tooth missing when smiling.
After twelve years of therapy my psychiatrist said something that brought tears to my eyes. He said, No hablo ingles.

DizzyJgirl responded:
Ohhh boy...I would be losing it. No matter what, that is wrong on so many levels. I can go to the hospital where I have my labwork and ultrasounds done and get the result from the medical records office...for free! My hospital where my pdoc is has you set up an acct on their website and they send your results to your acct.

But as Debbie said...my drs usually have the policy of "no news is good news". I get my results because I request them.

It is just frustrating for you because how long would it take for them to give you your results?? Its a lot of hurry up and wait. Sorry you have to deal with that frustration. Hugs. xoxo
Live Life Loud

ddnos replied to bpcookie's response:
COokie, no, I didn't mean or say that you dont have the right to the results of your tests, you absolutely DO - what I was saying is that legally, there are only certain people who can give you those results. For example, techs who do the x-ray, or such thing, they are not allowed to tell you the results for one, they are not trained to read them, though they may know somet hings, but it's just not their place to give you teh results.

I don't know about MRI's or CT scans, etc, but for future reference, Cookie, whenever you go to have blood tests, tell the person who is drawing the blood taht you would like a copy of the results sent to your home. They have a form and all you have to do is sign it, and then you'll get the same results your doc gets. Granted, don't expect to know how to read some of them, but at least you'll have it for your records. Some of the basic tests are easy to read, but more specific ones are not. But, you can have a copy sent to you of the blood work. I would request that from now on. LIke I said, I don't know if that can be done with other kinds of tests, but I know you can with blood test - at least you can here where I live.

I know you want to know the results before November, but again, take comfort in the fact that were it something bad, she would be calling you well before November, Ok? I know you still want to know, and you will, just saying to take comfort in that part.

Debbie
You can`t change what people are without destroying who they were
--The Butterfly Effect

bpcookie replied to DizzyJgirl's response:
Thanks sweetie. I doubt very much that the results are bad news. I only went in for hormonal lvls. So Im either going through menopause or I am not. So its not a matter of life or death. I have been going through some rough emotional difficulties lately and I wanted to know ASAP, if it was hormone related.

bpcookie replied to ddnos's response:
I was thinking the same thing, to have them send a copy to me. So next time I will request that.

It was only a test for my hormonal lvls, so I know it couldnt be bad new, unless they consider menopause bad news. lol. To me it doesnt matter either way, I just want to be on meds asap if it is hormones. This emotional roller coaster is terrible. I didnt buy a ride ticket so I want to get off of the roller coaster now.

IrwinsLady responded:
aww Cookie im so sorry youre having to go through this. hugs.
You and I know whats it like to be kicked down, forced to fight. But tonight we're alright so hold up your light and let it shine! Cos this ones for you and me livin out our dreams.- Bruno Mars

bpcookie replied to IrwinsLady's response:
Thanks sweetie pie. muahs

IrwinsLady replied to bpcookie's response:
hugs
You and I know whats it like to be kicked down, forced to fight. But tonight we're alright so hold up your light and let it shine! Cos this ones for you and me livin out our dreams.- Bruno Mars

skypper responded:
(((hugs cookie)))
~Sky~

If you are struggling, please talk to someone. There are good and kind people in this world. There is love to know

bpcookie replied to skypper's response:
Thanks doll.

slik_kitty replied to bpcookie's response:
omg, and to think of all the poor little bullfrogs i chased around the ranch in az. i'm soooooooo bad! he he he. they were everywhere at night. definitely not an endangered species there. lol

bpcookie replied to slik_kitty's response:
LMAO Im reporting you Slik. I believe that the statute of limitations has not expired yet. Oh, you are in so much trouble.

When I lived out in farm country, we had loads of em. Certain times of the year you would see hundreds of them crossing the road. It took me forever to get home because I would get out of the truck and move the frogs so that I wouldnt run them over. lol

ashe10 replied to bpcookie's response:
Hi Cookie I know you don't know me I don't post alot but I feel bad that you are unable to get any answers. You do have a right to know exactly what is going on with your health and you shouldn't have to wait until you see the dr again to find out. The health insurance I currently have allows me to log in and see the results of any tests that have been done. That would be nice it that was an option for you. Sorry you have to wait...hang in there.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Differentiating bipolar disorder from borderline personality disorderExpert
Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which people can very easily become angry and upset in response to stresses -- especially ... More
Was this Helpful?
109 of 126 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.