Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Spiritual community - may trigger
bptwin posted:
Well, during my day off I have spent several hours journaling, reflecting and pondering. And my conclusion is that I need to be around more reflective, spiritual people. This is a challenge, because I left the Christian church in 2004 and still haven't found a spiritual community where I feel comfortable. I believe that spirituality unlocks many hidden mysteries and gives us practical solutions for every day life. I long to find people where I live to really connect with. I know that I have a lot to learn, but I also have a lot to share and contribute too.

Do you all have spiritual communities that you belong to -- real or virtual. Please share!

Sharon

melly2210 responded:
Heyas!!! My spiritual thing is very private, but fulfilling nonetheless. I tend to spend some time meditating which I've learned through, believe it or not, a cognitive behavioral therapy workbook. I light a few candles, dim the lights, pick a few scents that are soothing or calming, and I sit and I meditate. Mostly I try to find a peaceful place for that time in my own head.

I used to belong to a group that met outdoors and they'd hold weekly sessions. Most were native american based guided Shaman journeys which I found intriguing and very personal. I miss that community. When I've settled in after the 1st of the year, I intend to pursue a group like that here.

Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops... at all. ~Emily Dickinson

bptwin replied to melly2210's response:
Hey Melly,

In your meditation, do you focus on a single thought or truth. Or is the purpose of your meditation to just empty your mind of distractions, or a little bit of both? I sporadically do meditation and it does improve things, but I never stick with it.

I hope you find a community soon. It is so good to have people to share with

Dyanne48jj responded:
BPTWIN!!!

hugz girl!

I belong to the New Apsotolic Church and was raised Presbyterian. Just walking in the door on a Sun and listening to the choir before service gives me such a warm and calming effect.
I was just talking to my daughter about surrounding ones self w/ godly people. That statement means that we need to be surrounded by those w the same values, morals or directions in life. We may have a wonderful friend, but realize if we spend too much time w that person, there is a part of them that actually brings us down.
It does not mean that one is bad andthe other is right, it just means ultimately the zen isnt there to get to the same place.
I dont' know if you are familiar with Pastor Joel Osteen of tx, but he and i have been thru so much together and he doesnt even know it. Some actually refer to him as a motivational speaker versus a Pastor. I strongly suggest checking out this site and watching acouple of his clips. We know religion and spituality are 2 diff things. His clips help me spiritually as well.
If you like, you can request a daily email, which i LOVE he has one line of scripture, he says a couple of paragraphs on it, then closes with 'me' in prayer.
haha man i got carried away here.
it was just soooooooooo exciting to 'see' your lovely smile again.
hugz and wuvz, dyanne
I KNOW I am crazy....THAT is what keeps me from going INSANE!!!
Oceans and Stars- Dyanne

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

TO DROP MY WEIGHT, I DROPPED THE DIET SOFT DRINKS.
Been on Zonegran for about five years and a type II diabetic for 35 years using metaformin and insulin. It appears the jury is in for me on ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 10 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.