Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Includes Expert Content
Dr. G - mixing generic and name brand
ddnos posted:
Hi Dr. G.

I just started generic Nardil and I still have about 110 brand name Nardil (saved just in case for some crazy reason I couldn't take generic). My question is, after I've taken the generic a few weeks or so, can I just combine the two together untel the brand nardil runs out or just stick with one or the other?

Thank you
Debbie
You can`t change what people are without destroying who they were
--The Butterfly Effect
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Torcal responded:
I don't understand what you mean by "combine" these drugs. Never double-dose any drug. A generic "Nardil" has the same chemical composition as the name brand and should not cause a problem if you intend to take the name brand one time and the generic the other, there seems no reason why not.

Caution: Nardil is a very heavy-weight psychotropic drug that can have some bad side effects. Always talk to your doctor if you want to change medications, increase or decrease the dosage, take the drug at a different time of day, or begin taking any other drug no matter how innocuous it may be.

bpcookie replied to Torcal's response:
When she says "combine* she doesnt mean that she is going to double dose, what she means is she wants to be able to use the brand name along with the generic so that she doesnt waste the left over brand name that she has.
Im female, Bipolar and Menopausal, that's a bad combination. The government wants to hire me as a deadly weapon!!!

DoOvers replied to Torcal's response:
The chemical composition that is responsible for effect is required to be the same per FDA; however fillers are not and therefore a very very small amount of individuals will have allergic reactions to different generics (because they are not identical). Debbie keep in mind the expiration date, but when possible I personally like having a small stockpile in the event the new manufacturer releases a few bad batches that pollute the market and prompt a recall. This has only happened once to me and I have been on probably 80 to 100 medications so unrealistic. In terms of switching between the two? Ask the doc. I'd imagine no if possible.
A.C.T.

bpcookie responded:
Debbie Doodles, have you gotten into the shower yet?
Im female, Bipolar and Menopausal, that's a bad combination. The government wants to hire me as a deadly weapon!!!

ddnos replied to Torcal's response:
Hello Torcal,

Well, actually, this was addressed to the doctor here (though it's certainly fine for you to throw in your two cents worth) but, I have been on Nardil for 20 years, so I'm pretty clear on the do's and dont's of this particular med (MAOI).

I would never even think of double-dosing on any medication unless prescribed by my doctor. My question to the doctor was simply is it Ok for me to take both my brand name Nardil and generic Nardil at the same time, randomly. I don't mean take my daily dose of the brand name plus my daily dose of the generic - no offence, but I give myself more credit than to do something like that. Over the 20 years I've been taking Nardil (and lithium), I have never increased or decreased my med w/o my docs knowledge. More often than not, I was the one who told her what was going on and that i thought I needed to increase or decrease, and she has always been on board and/or would suggest I wait a week or so on some occassions.

I know the active ingredients of the brand and generic of Nardil are the same, but some of the inactive ingredients are different. I have a list of ingredients of both to compare. I just wasn't sure if taking both (randomly until name brand ran out instead of just throwing them away) would be good, bad, or neutral.

Debbie
--The Butterfly Effect

ddnos replied to bpcookie's response:
Cookie, that's exactly what I meant.
--The Butterfly Effect

ddnos replied to DoOvers's response:
DoOver, I actually kept a lil over a months supply of the brand name becasue I didn't know how I would react to the generic (long story as to why I/my doc thought it possible). But I kept the brand name so that I would have some meds available right away should I have reaction to the generic for some reason.

I always keep a "stockpile" of about 5 days worth of meds in my purse so that if ever I forget my meds and I'm away from home, I still have some with me. About every six months I put in a fresh batch of meds and take the ones that were in my purse. But other than that, I don't feel the need to stockpile meds for possible bad batches.

Also, you said to ask the doc....ummm, that's what this post was doing, i.e. the title of the post, "Dr. G......" I have also asked my doctor, but I have a specific reason for wanting to ask Dr. G as well.

Debbie
--The Butterfly Effect

ddnos replied to bpcookie's response:
Hey Cookie, actually I have! I did so by 11 a.m. and then even got dressed! lol But it's too darn cold to get out and get some groceries, but I'm going through ice cream withdrawals that I just have to go anyway! Plus, I may need to pick up some of that other stuff like vegetables, you know? lol

Debbie
--The Butterfly Effect

Joseph F Goldberg, MD responded:
Dear Debbie,

No harm combining generic with brand name.

- Dr. G.

ddnos replied to Joseph F Goldberg, MD's response:
Ok, thank you Dr. G!
--The Butterfly Effect

DoOvers replied to ddnos's response:
Sorry Deb,

I quit smoking a week and a half ago and after re-reading the posts above I realized I mixed torcals and yours together. The cognitive effects of not having the nicotine is driving me a little goofy. I apologize. And, I should correct myself in regards to stockpiling. If I left anyone with the assumption that I have a years worth of a given med that is incorrect. I typically like to maintain a month's supply granted I am stable and not a danger to myself. If you think the "ask the doc" was dumb you should see some of the things I have misplaced in the last week and a half only to find in their usual locations. Some of the conversations I have apparently had and missed out on the main points. Didn't mean to offend.

My bad, sorry to agitate, not my intention.
A.C.T.

mercygive replied to DoOvers's response:
A.C.T. I'm a little confused here with all the posts so please forgive if I am replying to something unrelated to what I want to ask. I have been getting lamotrigine and citalopram Rx at grocery store, but now my insurance requires me to get refills by mail order. I know its cheaper because the suppliers can order in larger quantities. But, do you think the active ingredients and/or inactive ingredients will differ because I'm now getting through mail order?

Thank you,

Mercy
I'm not afraid of storms, for I'm learning how to sail my ship.
Louisa May Alcott

ddnos replied to mercygive's response:
May I butt in, Mercy? Your medication will be the same whether you get it at local store or via email as long as the prescription is the same, which I assume your pdoc didn't change that.
--The Butterfly Effect

ddnos replied to DoOvers's response:
Hey DoOvers, no problem! I wasn't offended - really! I must admit that I did do the eye roll once, but all with love. lol

So not offended, not agitated, all is good!

Debbie
--The Butterfly Effect

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

TO DROP MY WEIGHT, I DROPPED THE DIET SOFT DRINKS.
Been on Zonegran for about five years and a type II diabetic for 35 years using metaformin and insulin. It appears the jury is in for me on ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 10 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.