Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Afraid of getting ill again!
larsstarscanary posted:
My cat died last Wednesday (2/22/2012), and I'm sad. I'm hoping this grief won't trigger an extreme episode. (When my mom died, I got so very sick that I had to be hospitalized and required medication....)

How can I prevent another episode?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Lar

jselleck responded:
Lar, So sorry to hear about your cat. I lost my dear Bubby a year ago on Valentine's Day. My husband used to joke that he was my mood kitty because he could always tell my moods. We've since gotten a kitten to replace him, and seeing Peabody play with our older cat Jack is fun at times and trying at others, but we love them both. When you feel the time is right might I suggest rescuing a kitten or cat from your local shelter? That helped me. Two, is there anyone you can talk to?? Like a therapist or counselor? Mine about saved my life. If you feel an episode coming on might I suggest getting with your psychiitrist to tweak your meds? Hope this has helped. Take care.

JSelleck

Anneinside responded:
I am also grieving for my pet at this time. On the 18th I had to euthanize my sweet papillon, Gypsy. She had heart disease and cancer. That day she got to the point that she was struggling to breathe. I took her to the on-call vet who did xrays and tried to remove the fluid around her lungs. Finally there was nothing else he could do. I had to let her go. It was peaceful for her and horrible for me. I cried, actually wailed, all the way home and continued for hours. I also worry about becoming depressed but realize that what I feel is sadness and loss - in other words, grief, not depression.

Cry, allow yourself to grieve.

bpcookie responded:
Hello Lars, So sorry about your fur baby passing away. Unfortunately grieving the passing of a loved one is necessary in order to heal. Each day that passes is a day closer to healing your broken heart. I totally understand how painful this is for you because I had a fur baby pass away in 2009 and it took me a very long time to get through it but with the help of others, I was able to do it.

Do you have a good support system at home? Ppl you can talk to who will understand? A therapist? There is also a great support board called Pet Loss Grief Support. Here is the addy

http://www.petloss.com/

The Pet Loss support group helped me a lot. They have a safe chat room, support board, virtual candle lighting ceremony, they explain the different stages of grief, you can write a dedication to your pet and they offer many other things that may help you.

hugs to you
I HATE being Bipolar. Its AWESOME!!!!

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
67 of 90 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.