Includes Expert Content
Dr. G YOUR OPINION PLEASE
doxielover10 posted:
It has recently come to my attention that there is a growing number of therapists online.

I have been in and out of therapy for years and it's very disturbing when you bond with your therapist and they move away. It is very unfortunate for me that I live in an area where there is nothing. I'm a New Yorker so I am used to fabulous hospitals. The medical community here is so inept it scares the hell out of me. I'm going to discuss this with my Psychiatrist on my Wed. appt.

I check every physician I see with the state records of education, residency, complaints. Would I be able to do the same with an online therapist ?

I worked in the medical world so I have a great deal of knowledge but I'm still an atrocious rapid cycling bipolar.

Thank you,
Allison

Thank you,

Allison

bpcookie responded:
bump
I HATE being Bipolar. Its AWESOME!!!!

Joseph F Goldberg, MD responded:
Dear Allison,

Some mental health professionals have begun to offer on-line consultations or appointments. I don't believe there is any oversight body for this, like a state medical board, on issues such as licensure and malpractice coverage for interstate sessions, etc. To your particular question: a "therapist" is not a credential. Someone can call themself a therapist but of importance would be their professional degree, licensure and certifications by a governing board such as the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology or the American Psychological Association. If a professional is licensed, their information should be available through the state. Whether or not they offer online sessions would be a separate issue.

- Dr. G.