Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
I just got my confirmation that I have Bipolar
caddy0911 posted:
I have been sick since september over all kinds of things but I went to every doctor until I had a seizure. I went back to my primary care doctor and got a referral to a neologist. He talked with me for 30 mins about my head problems from internal fevers and bad headaches and seizure I had. He started asking my history and I answered him honestly about my agressive streaks when I was younger to the issues I was having with my fiance.

He stunned me with 90% sure signs I had Bipolar disorder. I was floored and I am trying to get my hands around it. I assume it was like getting hit with a Mack Truck and not knowing how to feel. I think it is hardest on me cause the disorder is inherited. I noticed the disorder in my father. I have a 6 year old daughter and I am worried it has been pasted down to her.

I really do not know what too fell right now or what to say. I have always felt that bipolar was a taboo thing to admit. I have fear that people will treat me different. Is that me over thinking or something I should worry about.

ddnos responded:
Hi Caddy, and welcome to the board!

You said that a neurologist diagnosed you in about 30 min? I'm not saying he's right or wrong because I haev no way of knowing, but it's a psychiatrist who specializes in mental disorders and my guess is should normally take more than 30 min. I would see a psychiatrist for an official diag - my opinion.

Re your fear of your daughter and bipolar, I found something that Dr. Goldberg wrote on the subject of genetics that I"d like to paste here. Dr. Goldberg is the doctor here that we can ask questions of. If you look to the right of the page, you will see his name and credentials, etc.

Remember, you are the same person you were before diagnosed with bipolar (if indeed that is correct) as you are now. The only difference is a label. Also, you are not obligated to tell anyone about your mental status unless you want to. I'm not suggesting hiding that part of who you are, but equally, it's not something we have to publisize.

So here's what Dr. Goldberg wrote about 6 months ago about genetics and bipolar:

"The genetics of bipolar disorder, like the genetics of all psychiatric disorders, are neither so precise nor black-and-white as, say, the genetics of Tay Sachs Disease or muscular dystrophy or other purely genetic disorders where there is a very specific predictability of transmission to offspring. It is more like asking, if your father had colon cancer or your mother had breast cancer, what's your risk of also having it, as the child? It's higher than in the general population, but simply not precise and depends on many non-genetic variables. That said, estimates would say anywhere from a 12-25% increased risk of bipolar disorder if one parent has bipolar I disorder, and about double that if both parents are affected. There is no way to predict when a child may become symptomatic but the average age at onset of bipolar disorder in general is late teens, so that's probably a fair estimate.

- Dr. G."

Take care
Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

bpcookie responded:
Hello Caddy, nice to meet you and welcome to the board.
I HATE being Bipolar. Its AWESOME!!!!

IrwinsLady responded:
welcome Caddy, nice to meet you.
This is happening...just make peace with it.

bipoet001 responded:
You really might wish to run this past the doctor here or a psychiatrist. Neuologists normally don't diagnosis bipolar.
Seizures, fevers and headaches could be signs of many conditions. Did the doctor do an MRI or CAT scan? Agressive streaks also do not bring a bopolar diagnosis to mind. None of your listed symptoms signal a bipolar diagnosis. Before you proceed with medications, I would urge you to see a board certified psychiatrist who is the only doctor qualified to give a valid bipolar diagnosis. David

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Differentiating bipolar disorder from borderline personality disorderExpert
Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which people can very easily become angry and upset in response to stresses -- especially ... More
Was this Helpful?
108 of 125 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.