Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
My 17 yr old niece has convinced her body its pregnant when she isn't!
An_244457 posted:
My 17 yr old niece has convinced everyone and herself sheis pregnant. Its to the point to where her body is showing signs of pregnancy. I have taked her to 2 different doctors and rhey have confirmd she is NOT pregnant. Her father is biploar and whe I took her to the Mental Health cener, they say she's just a teenager. This is no way this is normal for anyone her age or otherwise. I don't understand how her body is acting like its pregnant. But what I worry about is when her "due date" in May, if this doesn't throw her into a deeper depression or worse.I don't know how I will be able to comfort her as if she had a miscarriage or still born. Her parent aren't around and the res of the family don't want to help. Is there a name for this imaginary pregnancy or is this some part of her being bipolar like her father? Wher can I get her help that can treat this illness without pushing her further in a depression or cause her to harm herself. I care for her and don't want her hurt. Please if there is someone out there who can help with a solution or some advice. I would apperiate it very much.

ddnos responded:
Hi,

I'm sorry your neice is experiencing this, and yes, there actually is a name for it, it's been referred to as "False Pregnancy, or Phantom Pregnancy, but the medical name for it is, "Pseudocyesis" I have attached 2 websites that you can look up information about it and any possible things you can do to help, and you can also type in that word in Google to find more information.

If your neice would be agreeable to this, I would ask if you could go to her doctor with her and then talk with the doc. Ask your neice if she could sign a consent document that gives you permission to talk with the doctor, then I would talk with him/her privately for the purpose of asking his/her advice on how to handle this the best possible way. Your niece may not give you her permission, but if she does, that would be helpful.

I hope for the best for that young lady and that she will be able to come to terms with it before her "due" date. Oh, one more thing - have the doctors ruled anything else out? I mean, there are a couple illnesses that could also look like pregnancy but arent, and so I'm wondering if the doctor ruled those out?

Hang in there!
Debbie

http://kaltopsyd.hubpages.com/hub/Pseudocyesis-The-False-Pregnancy-Phenomenon

http://www.webmd.com/baby/guide/false-pregnancy-pseudocyesis
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

bipoet001 responded:
TRIGGER Going along with someone else's delusion is never a good idea. Take her to a doctor and have a pregnancy test done or sonogram. She sounds as if she would benefit from therapy to understand why she needs attention, something to love that is hers, or perhaps a way to tell people she has been sexually abused by someone and traumatized by it. bring her back to reality and then work with a psychologist to treat whatever trauma she is now treating herself with this delusion.
David

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Differentiating bipolar disorder from borderline personality disorderExpert
Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which people can very easily become angry and upset in response to stresses -- especially ... More
Was this Helpful?
107 of 124 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.