Matthecat - What is the url for bipolar caretakers
mercygive posted:
Hi Matt - Will you please post the url for your support board for spouse caretakers of bipolar spouses - or whatever your board is called.

My dh and I got into a little tiff a couple weeks ago, and he mentioned that he is scared of what is happeng to me now that I've officially joined the ranks of the mental ill (and it really pissed me off although I didn't say so). He thinks I'm out of it all the time and keeps making references to how I live my life (like recklessly, or because I can't manage our household). Anyway, he asked me "so where do I go for support?" Thought you could help me to help him with that.

Oh yea, I don't want him on this board. This is my private place!

Thank you,

Mercy
I'm not afraid of storms, for I'm learning how to sail my ship.
Louisa May Alcott

mattthecat responded:
I will try to post a link I am not the most computer literate person out there. http://exchanges.webmd.com/bipolar-spouse-and-family-member-support-community
I think I did it.
I would love to see your husband the spouse and family member support board.

Matt

bipoet001 responded:
I'm not the person you wrote to, but I work a great deal with NAMI (National Alliance for mental Illness). They sponsor family to family classes along with support groups for both family members and peers. These classes feature the very latest in information concerning how best to cope and deal with these conditions for the highest quality of life for both family members and those who are ill. I highly reccomend these courses. You can find your nearest local group by going to www.nami.org . NAMI is worldwide, although goes by different names in Europe and Canada, and is the oldest mental health support network. Most services are free. A membership for your spouse is $3. David

mercygive replied to mattthecat's response:
Matt

Thank you so much for responding. I was able to get to the url link the 1st time! I will copy the url and email it to my dh now that he is open to talking to others.

Thanks again,

Mercy
Louisa May Alcott

mercygive replied to bipoet001's response:
Hi David,

Thank you for responding and the information you provided.

I have been to the NAMI website and have found 2 NAMI support groups in our immidate area, but I could not find any NAMI online support groups. My husband works FT and schools FT online, and has no time for outside activities. However, in between semesters he said he would like to try a NAMI support group. We also need time to schedule our individual therapy visits. So, I think that online support groups are beneficial for those who are crunched for time.

Mercy
Louisa May Alcott

bipoet001 replied to mercygive's response:
NAMI's are normally hooked into all available resources within their community. While they may not offer what you need, they may know of online counseling or be able to offer you written or video online resources to increase your knowledge of how to deal with predictable situations. Calling the listed phone number or writing the website, should get you a response. As many NAMIs are volunteer-staffed, you can get uneven service as in some areas they are very good and in other areas more difficult to reach. If you have problems, go to the National NAMI via www.nami.org and ask for the help and information you need. There are also some communities with DBSA (Depression Bipolar Support Alliance) but there are far fewer of these. Most NAMIs will be able to refer you to the help you need. When going online, consider using an online therapist. While you'll pay a fee for this service, you will get professional information and advise which is often much more valuable than the opinions expressed by peer support groups. David

mattthecat replied to bipoet001's response:
David I suggest Nami a lot when giving advice to supporters. I have talked with members of our local Nami chapter even made contact with a volunteer who was trying to set up a support group on one of my days off. But as it stands i cannot make a meeting because the support groups meet when i am working. I set up my member supported community as a place for those supporters who get on this board to go and find other supporters and have there own place on Web MD. My board is pretty slow most of the time but two or three times a year it can really pick up. A good number of my members are those who have BP but are supporters also and seem to separate the help and questions between the two boards. Feel free to join the supporter community I set up. You seem to have a lot of good answers to questions on this board. It would be nice to have your incite on the supporter board as well. I just thought i would chime in.

Matt

bipoet001 replied to mattthecat's response:
Thank you, Matt. I teach at a community college as well as working for a foundation in various roles, so my opportunity to post is sporactic at best...but I thank you for the opportunity. David

mattthecat replied to bipoet001's response:
I saw your posts on the supporter board. I enjoyed all of them. I wrote back to a couple of them. Even if it is once in a great while I want you to know your posts are depreciated.
Thanks

Matt