Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Bipolar and Menopause
shellyrenee16 posted:
am going thru menopause too, Its really hard I wake up pouring sweat, get hot flashes all the time. My mood swings are horrible, and mixed with the bipolar and all the meds I take, I am a mess right now!! I am in a depression funk and my Dr. has added another medication to try to pull me out of the depression, and get me level again so I can at least function around my family. I feel so isolated, and I am worried that if I don't get better my husband is gonna divorce me soon. I just feel like I lost my zest for life. I wonder if the menopause messes with the bipolar meds in some way. I was doing ok until I lost my best friend last May. I am pretty sure that is what started the depression. I did not want to take another antidepressant med because I always get such bad side effects from all of the ones i have tried. The weight gain is bad too. But I really had no choice I have to try something. My Dr. wants me to see a grief therapist, but I refuse. I feel like all they care about is money, not helping people!

bipoet001 responded:
My wife is not bipolar but has gone through menopause. She sweated, had crying jags, and lost her confidence. This was about ten years ago and even though it was no longer popular, as their was no cancer in her family genetics, she went on HRT for around two years. The symptoms stopped within a week and two years later she stopped the HRT with out incident. If you do not have a history of cancer in your family, my obeservation is that HRT made the transition very much easier for both of us. David

mercygive responded:
Hi Shelly,

I am 51 and menopausal. When I realized that my last period had come and gone, I felt so old and used up. Those feelings still come and go but not as often. I think my hot flashes and night sweats, to some degree, contribute to my inability to focus during the day and interrupt my sleep cycles. What irritates me most about my menopause symptoms is that they come without warning. Even though I believe that my menopause symptoms can contribute to depression and anxiety, I am still aware of the difference between depression caused by negative thinking and the downward bipolar spiraling that no positive thinking can undo without medications. I refuse to take estrogen because I am concerned about breast cancer. So, I use yoga and meditation and relaxation tapes to help me to handle stress and negative thinking.

I feel for you. Have a good day

Mercy
I'm not afraid of storms, for I'm learning how to sail my ship.
Louisa May Alcott

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Differentiating bipolar disorder from borderline personality disorderExpert
Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which people can very easily become angry and upset in response to stresses -- especially ... More
Was this Helpful?
112 of 129 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.