Skip to content


Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Includes Expert Content
ammkra posted:
I've been on Lamictal and Abilify for 4 years to treat my Bipolar Disorder. However, the past few months I have fallen back into a scary depression. Everyone around me has an opinion about what to do...Can someone help?! I'm on 200mg of Lamictal and 5mg of Abilify. I think I should increase that dosage before I add in a new med...Any feedback would be so appreciated!
bipoet001 responded:
Only your psychiatrist can make this call. Have circumstances changed in you life that would add stress or disrupt your schedule, routine, or sleep? You should keep a mood chart. There are several blanks avaialble for download from several sites. Write down daily events, moods, hours of sleep, diet, water, medications and anything that might be stressful ( both positive or negative) during the day. Take this to you next psychiatrist appointment and let them evaluate your need for a med change, increased therapy, or lifestyle adjustments. David
Joseph F Goldberg, MD responded:
Dear Ammkra,

Abilify has been shown not to be better than a placebo for treating bipolar depression, and Lamictal is a preventative drug more than an acute treatmen for bipolar depression. There are many other different medicines that have been shown in research studies to treat bipolar depression. If you look under "Resources" on this website there are some videos in which I discuss evidence-based treatments for bipolar depression, which may be helpful as you discuss the available options with your doctor.

- Dr. G.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
73 of 97 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.