Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Includes Expert Content
How do you find the right psychiatrist /treatment for Bipolar??
An_244921 posted:
I have been dx with everything from clinical depression to MDD to BPII to "multi-disorder, unnamed". I have been on med regiment after med regiment, from doctor to doctor. They are either pill mills, narcissists or disengaged. I have spent hours upon hours upon hours researching inpatient facilities, outpatient facilities, "tips" of finding the right treatment course, looking up physician profiles, interviewing docs, researching meds, researching symptoms. I'm just so exhausted I don't think I can do this anymore. It's been a solid 4 years and the "crashes" get worse and worse as time goes by. I feel like I have done everythng right. I've done the research. I have religiously taken my meds. I have asked and asked for help from others. I have journaled my symptoms and reactions to meds. I just don't know what to do anymore. I'm sorry for the lengthy discussion item, but if there is anyone out there who has a suggestion that is not one of the following, please post: 1) exercise - if I can't get out of bed, I certainly won't be able to lap around the neighborhood; 2) stop drinking - DONE; 3) take meds - DONE; 4) find a psychiatrist - TRYING; 5) find a therapist - I can't successfully engage in therapy when I'm not "right" physiologically. Thanks for your input.

margaroo responded:
Hi and welcome to the board.

I wish I could give you the answer to your questions. You have done a great job helping your self, far more that I was able to do before I was correctly diagnosed. Unfortunately it is not unusual to go a long time without the proper diagnosis. I was limited to what psychiatrists and therapists I could see because of my insurance. I bounced around for 3 years until I was correctly diagnosed.

Maybe our resident expert, Dr. G, could help you with this. Start the discussion with "Dr. G" and he will find your post.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

tryforever responded:
I am sorry you have not found the help you need. It is awesome that you are not giving up. I can't imagine what it would be like if I never found the help I needed. Life would not be the way it is now. My username is Tryforever because I think its important to do that. Keep looking for that help that you deserve. You sound very strong, dont ever forget that you are..without credit to anyone else..

L

DoOvers responded:
I would check out the link above that is a screening tool for borderline personality disorder. It could rule something in or out. You seem to pop up in a lot of places.
A.C.T.

Joseph F Goldberg, MD responded:
Dear An,

WebMD can't offer a diagnosis to anyone here but it sounds like it may be useful to find an expert in mood disorders and have a detailed consultation/evaluation to help clarify diagnosis. Sometimes psychological testing by a clinical psychologist also can help shed light on issues related to diagnosis. It is hard to know what treatments are appropriate until as thorough a diagnostic evaluation as possible has occurred.

Dr. G.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Kee pyour head up
Don't let this illness bring you down. Always keep you head to the sky because someone is watching you and I. Sometimes this illness can ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.