Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Includes Expert Content
Executive functioning
narsatya posted:
Can someone illustrate initiation of
appropriate and suppression
of inappropriate responses, with reference to Executive function with examples?

bpcookie responded:
This is a good question for Dr. G.
I HATE being Bipolar. Its AWESOME!!!!

Joseph F Goldberg, MD responded:
Narsatya,

I'm not sure I know what it is you're asking. You may mean, the ability to inhibit or suppress an impulse (eg, blurting out an answer) versus, e.g., knowing when it's your turn to speak (initiating an appropriate response).

Dr. G.

narsatya replied to Joseph F Goldberg, MD's response:
So it is something like ADHD? Is it related to absent mindedness? Performing involuntary or automatic action by subconscious mind? When executive functioning is related to ADHD then why does exec. dysfunction arise in OCD? Are OCD and ADHD related? Sth is common to both of them. How are they treated when present concurrently? As most ADD med cause OCD as side effect and vice-versa for OCD med.

narsatya replied to narsatya's response:
I think there is fault in striatum and fronto-cortical, thalamus circuit. Which Neurotransmitter?

Joseph F Goldberg, MD replied to narsatya's response:
Dear Narsatya,

ADD is a childhood disorder of attention, whereas bipolar disorder (in about a third of patients) involves trait problems not just with attention but also verbal memory and executive function. OCD is a type of anxiety disorder, and anxiety of any kind can interfere with various cognitive processes, including executive function. There are no systematic studies of simultaneously treating OCD and ADHD.

Dr. G.

Joseph F Goldberg, MD replied to narsatya's response:
I don't believe anyone knows that there is any one single neurotransmitter involved in cognitive function.

Dr. G.

An_243880 replied to Joseph F Goldberg, MD's response:
I have noticed that since I have returned to baseline (not manic not depressed) my cognitve functioning is so much better. I can tackle complex problems at work that require intense concentration and problem solving skills. It's like someone gave me my brain back. I feel so much more competant to do both large and small tasks. Anyone else notice this?

bipoet001 replied to An_243880's response:
I find that catching and correcting myself as small changes in my norm appears keeps me from ever getting close to an episode. being with people who understand your norm and giving them permission to tell you whenever I act in a manner that is out of character for me, keeps me on track. Therapy has been very helpful in educating me concerning tatics I can use to bring myself back whenever my energy levels begin to dip or rise inappropriately. With the knowledge of that ability to control using coping strategies, medication and, for me especially, sleep and lifestyle routines, I can participate confidently in all aspects of my life. David

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Differentiating bipolar disorder from borderline personality disorderExpert
Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which people can very easily become angry and upset in response to stresses -- especially ... More
Was this Helpful?
108 of 125 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.