Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Question to anyone who wants to respond: Possible Triggers
jamireles1 posted:
It been two times within two weeks that I have had a manic "Episode".
I'm trying to find out what triggered both so I'll know for furture reference and maybe figure out what I can do to control what I say and do. My past two episodes have been very tramatic to my wife and family. They are freaked out when it happens. The only thing is I don't feel it coming on like I used to. (meds should be adjusted by next week, I see my pdoc) During any phase of a bipolar episode, has anyone ever told you about things you said or did that you don't remember doing? These past two manic episodes I do not remember, it's like I "blacked-out". At times I basically saw myself outside myself and barely remember that.
Has anyone ever experience this?

bpcookie responded:
Hello Jamireles, Many ppl have many different opinions as to what can cause a manic episode. I can tell you what I have read and what I have experienced. I tend to get manic when there's a special event happening, like right before a party, during Holidays or when ppl are coming over to visit. I have read that mania can be caused by some medications.

Its really hard to pin point what really triggers mania. You can look at it this way, was it really something that triggered your mania or were you becoming manic with out realizing it and then you make the mistake of thinking something triggered it? In my opinion, its so hard to know for sure.

Im wondering, when you said " At times I basically saw myself outside myself", could you have been dissociating?

Make sure your wife can identify when your becoming manic, that way she can let you know. When my husband notices, he will tell me and then remind me to calm down. It really does help.

Good luck to you.
The happy life be these I find, the quiet mind, the equal friend, with out grudge nor strife, wisdom joined with simplicity,the night discharged of all care. Earl of Surrey, Thomas Howard

jamireles1 replied to bpcookie's response:
@bpcookie- I appreciate the insight, I looked into dissociating, which this has happened before and now it makes sense. I'll mention it to my pdoc, which I have before and get some input from him.

As far as identifying when I am becoming manic, my wife has done a good job of it but lately she's been distant. That is kind of her way of letting it pass, as of late. I will mention it and see what happens. Thanks.

melly2210 responded:
I agree with the dissociation thing. I've done that multiple times and it's a horrible thing to realize, especially if during you've acted out irresponsibly and can't remember any of it.

Have you tried a mood diary? I used to keep one religiously, and once I figured out what triggers episodes, I stopped. When I start yo-yoing around, I go back to tracking and I add notes about what's going on that might be the issue ( like emotional triggers, situations, etc). Eventually I figure it out, but sometimes I need someone else to see the pattern.

Hang in there and definately talk to your pdoc and tdoc (if you have one) about the episodes and behaviors exhibited during them.

Good luck!
Mel

Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops... at all. ~Emily Dickinson

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Differentiating bipolar disorder from borderline personality disorderExpert
Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which people can very easily become angry and upset in response to stresses -- especially ... More
Was this Helpful?
108 of 125 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.