Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Includes Expert Content
Dr, G re excessive talking
ddnos posted:
Dear Dr. G,

I was diag bipolar type 2 many years ago. I used to be shy when I was a child and didn't talk much on up into my late twenties = I am currently 47.

Approximately around the age of 30, I started talking a lot and now it's to the point where EVERYONE who knows me (in person) associate me with excessive talking. I do know how to listen; I'm not one of those who won't shut up and won't or can't listen to others; but sometimes my excessive talking bugs the heck out of me too! If I'm hyper one day for some reason, then of course, my talking because that much more excessive. I wish I could just learn to be quiet sometimes.

My question is (I am also seeing my doc this week wed and will see what she says) but do you think that increasing my lithium a little bit would help tame my talking? I don't view my talking too much as a symptom of anything except those times when I am hyper my speech will increase and go from topic to topic. But normally, I just talk too much and it is even starting to drive my doctor crazy. lol The funny thing is the only place where my talking is more "normal" is when I'm talking with my therapist. That's probably simply because it's a totaly different relationship.

ANyway, what do you think? I'm not interested in adding any more medication to what I'm currently taking, but I am willing to increase my lithium if its thought possibly it would help. My doc may just have me try it to see if it helps (unless she knows it wouldn't) I don't know.

Thank you
Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

Joseph F Goldberg, MD responded:
Dear Debbie,

I would not take any one symptom without a context and propose treating it...manias or hypomanias are constellations of symptoms. If excessive talking occurs at times that coincide with the other symptoms of mania/hypomania (not sleeping, etc.), then if serum lithiums were below a therapeutic range, there may be value in considering a higher dose. On the other hand, if lithium levels were already in the therapeutic range, and talking a lot was a stand-alone feature unrelated to the other signs of mania/hypomania, then I would not necessarily identify it as a mania symptom and perhaps consider other possible explanations (eg, social context, anxiety, interpersonal or personality elements, etc.).

- Dr. G.

ddnos replied to Joseph F Goldberg, MD's response:
Thank you, Dr. G

That's sort of along the range of what I was thinking because it is pretty much a stand alone symptom and my lithium levels have always been at theraptuic range - I think I was just hoping that something as simple as an increase of lithium would shut me up. lol

Thank you!
Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
67 of 90 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.