Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Includes Expert Content
BIPOLAR AND ANXIETY/ DR.G
doxielover10 posted:
I have been on this board for awhile, I am a atrocious rapid cycling Bipolar. I also have now been diagnosed with a severe anxiety disorder. After running through every med on the market, my Psychiatrist told me my only 2 options left were ECT or Lithium. Under duress I took the Lithium, every 4 weeks to the day I went for blood draws on Creatinine levels. They never rose above 1.1.

At the end of last year, I went to the hairdressers, which I do not remember at all. My hairdresser immediately called my husband and told him something dreadful was wrong with me. Fortunately, my hairdresser, Internist and Psychiatrist have been with me 19 years. I was driving around and finally someone saw me and called my Husband on his business card. I arrived DOA in total renal failure at the hospital. My Creatinine level was 9.0 and no one had any idea why ? I don't remember anything, the Doctor spoke to my Husband and said he did not think I was going to make it. I was in the ICU forever. Unfortuneatly I had a severe issue with a gland in my neck and I was scheduled for surgery at MD Anderson. When I woke up
I had a fever that turned into an infection so I spent 7 days at MD Anderson once and then again a second time.

I finally had a complete breakdown, I was shaking so badly, it was visible across the room, my speech was so distorted people thought I had a stroke.
This went on for months, I stayed home, did not answer the phone. It finally and very slowly got better. My problem now is that every time I start to feel anxious my speech gets distorted and I vibrate so badly I fall , hit walls, fall out of bed. Has this ever happened to anyone before ?

Joseph F Goldberg, MD responded:
Dear Doxielover10,

I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties. I don't know that I could make a generalizable comment about the experiences you're describing other than to say that anxiety is a common problem in people with bipolar disorder. A neurologist would probably be the most qualified type of expert to give you an informed opinion about the nature of the speech and movement problems.

Dr. G.

mommaange1 responded:
I had the same exact experience with lithium right down to renal failure and extensive hospitalization. I was lucky that my daughter found me unconscious on the floor in the middle of the night. Dr. said if she wouldn't have found me I too would have been gone in the next few hours. A few days prior I apparently was having the symptoms you describe plus delusions and hallucinations. This was to the point where I had no clue what I was doing, what I was taking or how much. On top of the high lithium level like you, I OD'd on a combination of drugs. No one knows if I just didn't know what I was doing but the hospital decided I tried to kill myself. After being on suicide watch for a month and a half after they took my vent out when I got out of ICU, the University Of Chicago's Psych team sent me to an inpatient facility. When I got home it took months to recover. I couldn't walk, talk right, and basically had everyone doing everything for me. My hair is still falling out from the experience according to my doctor. I too have huge anxiety and panic attacks. I am now on 1mg of klonopin 3 times a day. So I am feeling you. This was Nov of last year and I still feel effects, my hair has not grown back, and I swear sometimes I have some sort of brain damage or memory loss even though they checked and say no. But, I know my body and my mind and things still are not right. It is strange that you mentioned stroke because when I got home I swore to everyone that I had one. All I know is that it was the most hellish part of my life and I will never forget the parts I remember, which isn't much. I was unconscious for so long I only know bits and pieces that the family told me. It haunts me and makes my anxiety worse. I hope things get better for you but one thing I can say is that the progress is not moving as fast as I would like.
If We Couldn't Laugh, We Would All Go Insane :)

doxielover10 replied to mommaange1's response:
Unreal isn't it ? Can you believe I was driving a car while hallucinating. I went into a parking lot and when I got out of the car, I fell on my face, I fractured my jaw. A Lady ran towards me, there was blood everywhere. She opened my purse and found my Husband's business card and called him. My hairdresser had already called but no one had any idea where I was until the lady called. I arrived DOA in total renal failure. As I said I don't remember anything, I woke up in my room with IV's everywhere. For 2 or three days, there was a picture on the wall and a clock. I was getting really mad because everytime I looked they had moved to another wall. My bed had an alarm on it so I would not be able to get out. I still managed to get out of the bed, pull an IV out and I was trying to pry an electrical box on the wall open so I could stop the clock and picture from moving. I was in the ICU so they knew something was going on. They were in disbelief that I got around the alarm, so they put a stronger one around,

I have been housebound for almost a year, however I still get dizzy, I get the most hated aphasia, my memory is shot, I'll start a sentence and just stop because I forgot what I wanted to say. I have fallen so many times, my Husband had totake a leave of abscense to stay with me. I have only 30% kidney function, I'm always scared to death.

Keep in touch, maybe we can help ourselves, I have a medical background and only we and Dr. G know what we are going through, no one else understands. My Archangel Michael is with me. Take Care !!!! You can always contact me.

mommaange1 replied to doxielover10's response:
It sure sounds as if we had the experience. It is good to know that I am not crazy and someone truly has been thru the exact thing. email anytime at mommaange1@sbcglobal.net Take care
If We Couldn't Laugh, We Would All Go Insane :)

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Differentiating bipolar disorder from borderline personality disorderExpert
Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which people can very easily become angry and upset in response to stresses -- especially ... More
Was this Helpful?
112 of 129 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.