Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Mania and posting, an observation (triggering)
An_243880 posted:
About 4 weeks ago I posted while in an extremely manic and psychotic episode. To anyone I upset, sincerely I apologise. Fortunately for me my psychiatrist is an extremely savy clinician and admitted me that afternoon. I was hospitalized for several weeks. It was rough going for a while. It seems that the manic episode was triggered by our attempt to remedy an intractable depression with an antidepressent. Upon my discharge I returned to this website, realized what I had posted, and printed up my post for him. My post didn't surprize him but some of the less than supportive responses I got did. His recommendation to me was that if I wanted to seek on-line support, this might not be the site to do it. To the person who called my post "BS" and "attention seeking", my physician laughed and said she got one right. I was attention seeking as he said "from ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, FOX, and anyone else who would listen". A suggestion, if someone posts while manic and psychotic and you are not a clinician, be careful what you say. I wish you all well. May you find peace and success as you struggle with this debilitating disorder.

melly2210 responded:
Unfortunately none of us can actually know whether you are manic or have slipped into a psychotic state. We can guess based on our own experiences, but that is just that. A support board cannot replace actual therapy or psychiatry. For the most part we are all pretty supportive of each other. But there are times when someone may chime in such as what you described. There is a "report" button available to bring it to the attention of the moderators of this board.

As for other boards, there are many different ones to choose from. I, personally, have found that NAMI's is more of a complaint session and empathy but no one actually chimes in with coping strategies and there is no moderation. DBSA is a time limited thing, and sometimes you need more than 10 minutes to walk away feeling as if you've accomplished something towards resolving the issue. Others, no one responds to your posts. Good luck in finding the right one for you.

I, too, have posted here when I am in a severe manic state. And I've had the same thing happen to me. If I recall correctly, you were off in left field - no offense intended - and other than the posts from one particular person, most of the advice was an attempt to make you realize you were where you were and that you needed help. Sometimes we need that pointed out in order to act on resolving that situation. I know I have and after I'd thought about it when I went back and read it, I realized that the majority of the responses were well meaning. My suggestion is just to ignore responses from the party who did what you feel is the most harmful in the future.

In any case, I wish you luck on your journey and hope you find the support you seek.

Mel

Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops... at all. ~Emily Dickinson

ddnos replied to melly2210's response:
Well said, Mel! Unfortunately, there are going to be those on any support board who may say insensitive things; I'm sure we've all experienced that on occassion. But for the most part, I think this board is and tries to be very supportive, and I've been here I think around 4 years.

I am sorry that you experienced a negative response to your post; but like Mel said, that was an unfortunate one among other more supportive responses (or so I assume, I don't remember the thread, though I may have read it).

If that was your first time here, then it's too bad that it was in part a negative one for you. But I'd try to not let that one reply define the whole group for you in your mind. We are going to make mistakes and say stupid or insensitive things from time to time; but we are human and we are learning and growing.

I wish you well on wherever your journey leads you. If you choose to gives us another try, then that would be great; but if not, you have to do what's best for you and maybe this place isn't for you - and that's Ok too.

I'm glad you're doing better than when you visited a couple weeks ago!

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

Anneinside responded:
One thing we don't know is if the responses that offended you were also from people who were currently manic.

bpcookie replied to Anneinside's response:
Anne, you have made an excellent point.
The world is round and the place which may seem like the end may also be only the beginning. ~Ivy Baker Priest

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

TO DROP MY WEIGHT, I DROPPED THE DIET SOFT DRINKS.
Been on Zonegran for about five years and a type II diabetic for 35 years using metaformin and insulin. It appears the jury is in for me on ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 10 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.