Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Physical Illness A Trigger?
delora_anne posted:
I have noticed that whenever I get sick, migraines, infections or whatever, that I get a mixed episode with sobbing & excessive uncontrollable crying. Is this normal with bipolar? I would assume so since physical stress is still a kind of stress, and stress can trigger episodes?

mercygive responded:
Hello Delora_Anne
Physical stress can bring on mania or depression, or both for me, especially physical pain. It's an inconvenience to be sick or physically impaired and I get stressed out because I get impatient that healing is not immediate and pain lingers, and I get impatient because I am stressed out.

Therapy taught me the reason I get so stressed out over physical pain is because I was physically abused long ago, and any kind of pain or illness is a subconscious reminder of that stress because I lack control over it. Also, when we are at the height of an episode we are more at risk for physical injury and illness.
Choose life, God's Grace and humor - mercygive

lexismom11 responded:
I would say that physical illess does put stress on your body. So I would say that yes, it could be a trigger. Everyone has different triggers and for you it is physical illness probably due to the stress it puts on your body. I think it is perfectly normal.

Ms_Moodie responded:
This is something that I have wondered about also, as a woman with bipolar disorder, and I definitely have noticed that physical illness impacts my bipolar symptoms. I have two posts on my blog, My Big Fat Bipolar Disorder, that relate:
These forums are a great way to learn form and help each other. I found this thread to be very interesting.

Good health to you!

Cheers!

Moodie

creator of the blog My Big Fat Bipolar Disorder

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Differentiating bipolar disorder from borderline personality disorderExpert
Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which people can very easily become angry and upset in response to stresses -- especially ... More
Was this Helpful?
112 of 129 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.