Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Trigger/No to medications...
fanto posted:
[TRIGGER] Why should I bother to continue to ingest such extremely harmful, damaging, and destructive chemicals known to have numerous side effects? People that self medicate with alcohol die at a young age? Do they really? This is what many SUCCESSFUL people have been doing for many years. I might as well give it a shot. My mother, who seems to be screwed up mentally, has been a drinker for many years. She has a house, she's well educated, still works two jobs. How the heck does she do it, how does she get through? A drink here, another drink there. Does she have a drinking problem? I don't know. Does she do anything else other than alcohol? Don't know.
What I do know is that she has stayed employed and has had a very nice place to live for many years. She, like my father, have endured-have persevered through far more than me. Although they have their mental health issues, THEY pushed through-GOT through their "junk" and continue to do so without the use of "THE SYSTEM"---the system that seems to want too many of us to become enslaved to pill-popping-heavy-hitting medications. This would be the same system that I've been a slave to for over two years. One that has been feeding me (IE. Food Stamps), providing me with the money that I've been spending via Social Security Disability compensation.
So, if my parents can get by as well as they have been with job stability over the years----never ending up sucking off of the government like myself-----------all of this without any psychiatric assistance. This needs to be what I seek in the near future. If moderate alcohol consumption aids me in my quest, so be it. Seriously people, what is proven to cause more damage, moderate alcohol consumption or a lifetime supply of Depakote? Depakote and its siblings are nothing but street-fighting Ninjas. Kung-Pow!
A scripture for justification? Ok: 1Ti. 5:23 Stop drinking only water, and use a little wine because of
your stomach and your frequent illnesses.
Was I misdiagnosed? Do I really have Bipolar?
Three beers a day or 1500 MG of Depakote a day? Yes to the beers for the time being. If things go "south of the border", I will probably try Lithium over Depakote.
Hopefully soon I will be able to earn enough from employment so that I can put an end to using Food Stamps, and using Disability payments to live off of. Three hundred dollars a week will be enough for the time being.
How common is it to receive Disability benefits when an individual was never told by a doctor that they are disabled? I was told that I have Bipolar Disorder, but never told that I was disabled by any doctor. One doctor that I saw for over three years told me that I was NOT disabled.

ddnos responded:
Hi Fanto,

I wish that I never had to take even one medication my entire life, but fact remains, if I don't want to suffer the debilitating symptoms of bipolar 2, then I take the meds. I have no doubt that taking any medication long term (life long) can't be great for the body; but personally, the alternative is much worse.

If you've been diagnosed with bipolar, then alcohol is not going to treat it, but will only make you worse. Obivously, I don't know your parents, or how much they drink, etc,. or if they have been diag with bipolar, but just because they were/are able to do the things you said in your post, does not mean that's the norm.

I don't know if the main or only reason you want to go off your meds is because of what it may or may not do to your body in the long run, or if they are not working well for you, or both reasons. But if because of the long term effects - I hear you, but think about the alternative; if they are not working well for you, then talk with your pdoc about it and maybe you need to change meds.

I've been on my meds for 20 years - nardil and lithium, and I'll have ot be on them for the rest of my life. LIke I said, I wish I didn't, and I could choose not to, but I KNOW how horrible I would be feeling were I not taking my meds. It's really the same as if you or I had another physical disorder where meds were necessary to stay well and/or alive. You'd take meds for that, wouldn't you?

Ultimately, it's your choice whether you stop taking your meds or not; but I would encourage you to talk with your pdoc or therapist (if you have one) about it first.

Re being on disability and "using the system" I hear you on that one too because I have thought/felt the same thing myself from time to time. BUt one, I paid into social security when I was working, and two, even if I wasn't, it's a support that our society provides for those who are unable to work for whatever reason. Disability doens't have to be forever; but it could just be a period of time where one can focus on getting better and more stable to be able to work - and then, go back to work. I was on disability for about 5 years, then went back to wrok, then had to go back on a couple years ago, and believe me, I am totally grateful for it. Some people could be living on the streets were it not for disability, you know? Yes, there are people who use the system - there always will be - but that doesn't mean that those of us who really need it are.

Oh, generally speaking, a doctor is not going to tell you that you are disabled or not - if you qualify for disability, then the disability that you have is bipolar. That doesn't mean everyone with bipolar needs to be on disability or that they can't function in the world, ect; it's just that bipolar is officially a disability in the eyes of social security administration.

Talk with your pdoc and/or therapist before going off your meds, eh?

Hang in there
Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

lexismom11 responded:
When treating Bipolar, meds and therapy usually work best for those of us who are Bipolar. Taking the meds can be irriatating and make you a little worried, but I think of what my life would be like if I did not take them. I would have many more issues that I do now, and maybe would not even be here. The fact that you are on disability goes to show how debilitating your condition can be for you. It's something that many people brag about, but if it allows you to continue to get treatment then it's something you shouldn't feel bad about. Same goes for the foodstamps. They were put into place to help those who are low income and if you did not qualify for them, you would not be receiving them. Alcohol will not help the situation. It is a depressant and will only make you feel worse in the end. The medication can stablize you and allow you to live as normally as possible.

Anneinside responded:
In order for you to have qualified for disability income, your doctor had to have stated that you are unable to work. He doesn't have to say that you are disabled. Social security determines if you meet the criteria for disabled according to their definition. I never say I'm disabled, I say I'm on disability. Soon I'll be able to say I'm retired. If your income qualifies you for food stamps then you should accept them.

As for your parents, since they haven't gotten psychiatric help or advice then there is no way to know if they have a psychiatric disorder. However, using alcohol is not a solution. You are concerned that psychiatric drugs will damage your body. I can guarantee you that alcohol, taken long enough will cause liver damage and you can't live without your liver. EVERY medication has side effects. Take an antibiotic for an infection and you can have side effects. Take insulin for diabetes and you can have side effects. Medications can cause side effects.

fanto replied to ddnos's response:
Thank you very much for your input. Much appreciated.

fanto replied to lexismom11's response:
Thanks for your response. If I really think that I need to be back on some sort of medication I will give it another try.

fanto replied to Anneinside's response:
Thanks Anne, for now I will be staying off the medication. Have a great week.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Need some advice...
I am 32 with a wonderful family and just found out that I am bipolar. 20 days ago they left me due to one of my outburst. I need them back ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 15 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.