Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Going off Depakote & Lamictal
egnaro posted:
I am working with my doctor to wean off meds so I can have the option of thinking about a family (I am recently engaged). I would love to hear if others have advice on what I can expect.

I started at 100mg Lamictal and 1000mg Depakote (it's been about 5 years since I've been diagnosed and on these meds. I'm 30). Over 4 months we decreased the Lamictal and I've now been without about a week. With each decrease I experienced a few days of what felt like anxiety symptoms--the hurdle that was really tough was going from 50-25mg, actually, which sent me into a 3-day depression that felt too much like the bad-old-days... but with my family and support system, we got through it!

The next step is going to be to start chipping away at the Depakote and I'm nervous. I would love to hear from others who have weaned off meds, or if anyone has 2nd hand knowledge that's great too as I'm not finding much info online. I'd appreciate information about what to expect physically as I adjust to not having the medicine, as well as tips for living without chemical treatment.

Thanks!

lexismom11 responded:
The advice I would give you regading living without the meds would be to continue working with a therapist if you already are. If not, you should consider working with one. They can teach you coping techniques and help you through any tough times that may be ahead. That's very important to your success whether you continue to take meds or not. Good luck with the family.

Anneinside responded:
I agree that you need a good therapist for support and to learn more coping skills. If it was me, however, I would want a few years of marriage under my belt before starting a family. Marriage is a big change (unless you have been living together) and can be a stressor.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Patience for the Holidays and every day life
Tips 1. Boredom can make it difficult to be patient. If you're waiting in the doctor's office and the only thing you can concentrate on is ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.