Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Bipolar II Hypomania is not necessarily fun (TRIGGER)
An_246448 posted:
I may not have searched sufficiently to see this caveat to what hypomania can be like, but Bipolar II isn't a "light" version of Bipolar I. Bipolar II doesn't necessarily mean you come up for air from that very dark depressive state, and just feel really and truly pretty darned good for awhile.
Suffering from Bipolar II, I enter "mixed" states, where the hypomanic energy can lend an intensity to feelings that is almost beyond belief. So much is going on that I'm easily confused and find it extremely difficiult to redirect myself, to think or retain information. The resulting anxiety (and actual negative outcomes) build on already deeply destructive, negative thought patterns.
I've never been arrested, or evicted, or thought I was god. But please know that like Bipolar I, Bipolar II can take a terrible toll.

Anneinside responded:
I have bipolar I (used to be diagnosed with BP II) and when I have hypomania or move into mania I am usually very irritable and don't find it pleasant at all. Nor do I like depression because I become suicidal. I guess I only like "normal".

lexismom11 replied to Anneinside's response:
I am the same way. I have bipolar I and hypomania consists of extreme irritability. I agree that it is very unpleasant. Depression is worse because I do have suicidal thoughts along with the worthlessness and hopelessness. In between when I am not having an episode is nice because I feel more normal. I don't feel like such an outsider among everyone I am with.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Differentiating bipolar disorder from borderline personality disorderExpert
Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which people can very easily become angry and upset in response to stresses -- especially ... More
Was this Helpful?
109 of 126 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.