Skip to content


Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Coming off of medication unwillingly
An_246452 posted:
I was given 600mg of Triliptol for my bipolar that I have to take day and night. Lately I have been forced to try and ween myself off the medication due to the fact I have moved and thanks to not having a car I can not get to a psychiatrist since there are none within busing distance or walking distance of where I live.

I know it is very likely that I can have manic episodes, and when coming off of seraquil 4 years ago I had had a schizophrenic attack, this worries me in the fact that I don't want to have any attack schizophrenic or bipolar wise, that I would end up in a hospital. Is there a way to get my medicine without metting a doctor face to face?
ddnos responded:
Hi, well that's a difficult situation to be in......first, can you contact your former pdoc to ask if he can call in refills of your meds until your find a new doc? There are many pharmacies who will mail your meds to you; but you would have to actually see a pdoc to get prescriptions (other than if your former one would call in one refill for you)

So there's no doctors or mental health facilities either walking distance or on a bus line where you've moved to? I would get the phone book and start making calls and let them know your situation and did they have any ideas, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if there's something, you just may not know what or where it is right now.

Call your local DSHS department and they might be able to ehlp you.

If you have any more questions or concerns, keep posting!

Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown
ddnos responded:
PS here's a link where you could find a local medicaid office by state - they may be able to help you
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown
ddnos responded:
Also, I don't know if you need help with your prescriptions (once you get them) but if you do, here's a link that if you qualify, you could get free or very low cost meds
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown
Anneinside responded:
Many people around here has case managers (social workers from the county mental health department) who do things like take clients to doctor appointments. We also have a volunteer taxi service for doctor appointments. People also don't have appointments with pdocs very often and many of them use taxi services. There are always ways to get to a psychiatrist.
lexismom11 responded:
If you have insurance, try calling the insurance company about transportation services for your doctor's appts. Many insurance companies have this service, they just need to help you get in contact with the right person or people.
An_246452 replied to Anneinside's response:
I tried looking up a taxi service for going to a psychiatris (I don't have a lot of money) and I live in a college town in the middle of farm country in IL and couldn't find a taxi service
melly2210 replied to An_246452's response:
You need to find the local NAMI office ( ) Call them and let them know the situation and they may be able to refer you to services that you may not know about. Oftentimes, a university/college offer programs to the local community.

Another alternative is to contact your last psychiatrist and apply for Prescription Assistance Programs. They might be able to mail them to you until you resolve this situation.

In addition, I know for a fact that if you call the National Suicide Hotline should things get bad, they will send out the local law enforcement to transport you to the nearest crisis center. There is no charge for this, and it would connect you to the center closest to you. When this happened to me, I not only got psyche care, I was assigned a case manager who would pick me up and get me to appointments and refer me to services in the area.

You could also contact the local United Way, local churches, or even local groups like Lions Club, VFW's, Moose Lodges, etc. They might be able to get one of their members to help you with transportation until you get hooked up with a clinic.

Hope all gets better for you!

Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops... at all. ~Emily Dickinson

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Differentiating bipolar disorder from borderline personality disorderExpert
Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which people can very easily become angry and upset in response to stresses -- especially ... More
Was this Helpful?
114 of 131 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.