Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Triggers: Is my pain from the OD or Did the nurses really beat me up?
HighnLoLita posted:
I know no one can really answer my question but, I'm wondering if there is any research. I am bipolar and have had a few suiside attemps. This last time I really tried to do it, it was in 2007. My daughter took my grandson to California and she said she was not coming back. I was very depressed. So what I did was take a whole bunch of perscriptions that I had saved up. I did die but, they brought me back to life and I was on machines to keep me alive. I was in a coma for 2 weeks and I was in the hospital for a month. Then I was on dyalisis for another month. Before I got out of the hospital, I had to relearn how to walk and how to walk up stairs. There was a pain in my left leg and I still walk with a limp from pain. After I got out of the coma, I have memories of two nurses beating me up and throughing me around b/c after they changed my bedding and gave me a wash up, I pooped the bed before they could put a diaper on. I had bruises on my stomach. So the next day, I told my family what happended but, the nurse said to my grandmother and boyfriend that I was halucinating and that the bruisis on my stomach was from shots but, they didn't start the shots in my stomach until that day. My family was saying that I was hallucinating and that I had the best team and really good nurses that would not do what I was complaining about. So when they decided it was time for me to walk, and go to the bathroom myself, I noticed a pain in my leg and back and when I relearned how to walk, I walked with a limp. I still walk with a limp and over a year ago, I had MRI of my neck and my lower back. They found alot going on and diagnosed me with degenerative disk disease. The dr's keep asking me if I was in a car accident and how do I think my back and neck got so bad. My thing is this...I know I didn't get these problems from an od of medications or did I... This past year I have been in so much pain something I never experienced until after my hospital stay..Is there any research on overdosing and later chronic pain?

mommaange1 responded:
I can say this. I had exactly to a T the same OD experience last November. I was in the hospital for a month and a half then off to the inpatient psych ward I went. I too could not walk after the event and walked with a walker for months afterwards. I had the same stomach bruises too, so they were obvious giving us something. I don't remember most of the hospital stay and got most of the info from my family. I continued to have hallucinations almost the whole time. when I woke up, I was at a different hospital in Chicago (I live in IN). I swore I had a stroke because I could not use my left arm. No strength or nothing. They to brought in a neurologist, did MRI's etc. They decided it was a brain issue that may have been masked by my old meds or a new issue like damage to the brain. I don't know what you were taking before the OD but it could have dulled the pain of disc issues. I have had 7 surgeries on my back and I can definitely say the meds lessened the pain. I'm not a doc or anything but imho I would say you probably had the issue before hand and it intensified because of the incident. Such a shock to the body causes so much stress. Heck, even my hair fell out and still hasn't come in in some places. All I know is after the OD I couldn't do anything for myself and had really wished I had just died cause I figured I had more brain damage then they thought and would be a burden with a gimpy left arm forever. Now I regret that thought. Lots of physical therapy, med changes and new psychiatrist has made me a totally new person. I am way better then I have ever been in my whole life. I don't know how old you are (I'm in my 40's) but degenerative disc is very common because of many reasons. Especially in the lower discs. So don't worry. I really don't things were caused by the OD. Even with damage to the brain discs degenerate from use over time. Your brain can't make your discs degenerate. Do what your docs say and you should be fine. If you ever want to talk, let me know and I will send you my email or # to text.
If We Couldn't Laugh, We Would All Go Insane :)

HighnLoLita replied to mommaange1's response:
Thank you so much for your reply. I am 42 y/o and I am aware that DDD is common in ppl my age but, I didn't seem to have any of theese problems until after the OD and was not taking any meds that would dull the pain. My hair fell out to as I was on dyalisis. Yea and at the time I too wished I died b/c the incident cost me alot this time. My daughter did come back btw and now I have two handsome grandbaby's who I am very close too. And I am very content with my life right now..I have some really great dr's now. It's been hard finding them b/c of the od it is hard finding dr's who are willing to treat me for DDD due to the od and bipolar disorder. Thanks for you input, we have alot in common...

bpcookie responded:
Hello Lolita, Welcome back!!! Havent seen you here in months. Im sorry but I cant read your post at this time. I cant sit at the computer for more than a few minutes because Im having serious pain issues. But I wanted to say HI and welcome you back to the board.
The world is round and the place which may seem like the end may also be only the beginning. ~Ivy Baker Priest

HighnLoLita replied to bpcookie's response:
oh yea, hello there bpcookie I know what you mean with the pain issues that is why I haven't been around. But nice to see you on.

Anneinside responded:
There is no way nurses would beat you and throw you around the room. It sounds like a hallucination or dream. The bruises are easily explained by your treatments. And since you just laid in a bed for two weeks it is not surprising that you were weak and couldn't walk easily. I was in bed for 8 days, rarely getting out of bed when hospitalized for pancreatitis and I was weak physically. Your back problems wouldn't be related to your OD. Sometimes things just happen in proximity to each other but aren't caused by the other thing. It sounds like your life has improved and continuing to work on your back with your doctor will make it even better.

melly2210 responded:
DDD is exactly that...degenerative being the key word. You've probably had back damage for a very long time. Perhaps your meds and depression masked the pain. Bipolar and our meds do weird things to our bodies. I think you were hallucinating too.

On another note, it is possible to have problems and little to no symptoms. For example, my neck and shoulders bother me on and off. I wrote it all off as migraine issues, tension, sleeping wrong, etc. Last year I had a category 3 concussion. Long story, but basically dropped a couch on my neck. At the emergency room they did the normal workup - MRI/CT. Diagnosis? Concussion....and they questioned the C6 break that was showing on film. It was an old injury, but I and no one in my family recall any injury that could have resulted in a broken neck. The dr told me basically from the scar tissue that I am lucky to be walking around. Ever since, I have issues with my neck. The concussion just aggravated the old injury. Just an example.

Take care of you!! And I for one am glad you made it back to the world of the living.

Mel

Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops... at all. ~Emily Dickinson

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
67 of 90 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.