Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Sobering news about employment for people with disabilities (May Trigger)
beej5 posted:
http://harkin.senate.gov/documents/pdf/500469b49b364.pdf

I find this pretty digusting that companies are treating this way. The article says it will get worse before it gets better but hopefully things will improve once the elections are all over with.

I was about to puke when I read this. I have a friend who was hired then when the company found out that he was disabled they canned him in 3 days. So be very careful what you do on your job.

I wanted to share this with you so you are aware what is going on. It will all over FB as well.

beej

Anneinside responded:
I just finished reading the document. At first it sounded good but I think it is unrealistic. The "successful" programs include a tiny amount of people with disabilities and will have little impact. It did include a lot of statistical information that is true such as people on disability live in poverty. There is some truth to some of the statements included but it does seem to be aimed at getting people on jobs who really can't function on jobs so they can reduce disability and medical program rolls.

beej5 replied to Anneinside's response:
I know a lot of people not getting hired due to their disability and its only getting worse. The goal of the program is get people off of the system into the workforce. Those who can function in the workforce system. I can only work part time due to my BP by dr.'s orders. I am waiting for them to release me but that will be a long time. In my home area there are so many people with disabilities do not have job and can function but are not hired. Thats what Tom Harkin is saying something needs to be done about this. But it will depend on the election coming up how it will play out and who will control Congress. I'd rather keep my benefits as a back up but If I get a full time job i will be cut so I have to be careful.

I know u think its unrealistic but watch happens around you.

beej

ddnos replied to beej5's response:
If people are not getting hired because they are on disability (which I don't doubt) then I would have to say, "why are these people telling their potential employers that they are on disability in the first place, especially before they are even hired?" It's not typically necessary to tell the employer about your disability or any detail about it.

Also, I for one think that there are a lot of people on disability who are capable of working. They may not have been at first, but are now. I have worked with many people on disability who WANT to work (after some years of really needing to be on disability) but they are afraid to for fear of losing their benefits. I remember one (of many) of our members who was one of those and once I explained to her that she could still work and gross wiithin a certain amount, she could keep all of her benefits. She was thrilled and within a month, got a job! Not only are there safety nets built in for those who want to work part time, but also for those who want to and are ready to work full time. You're not just dropped from SS benefits once you get a job. You actually have, if I remember correctly, 36 months after getting a job, full time, and the first of those yeras, you still get your full disability benefit no matter how much you earn on a full time job! Also, if withn 5 years of going off disabilitly, you can be expeditatly reinstated, AND, while they are determining if you are truly in need of goig back on disability, they pay you while determining - and they pay substantial amount AND you don't have to pay that back even if they deny your recquest. Typically, they won't deny it, but you don't have to go through the application process and you find out within 6 months while being paid while waiting.

So, there are tons of people who are capable of going back to work but just too afraid for fear of ending up on the streets with no benefits, which simply isn't true.

So I agree that there should be a push to get folks on disability employed IF they are truly capable of if , either full or part time. They shouldn't be using the system if they don't have to, but should use it with a clear conscious if they indeed have to.

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

melly2210 replied to ddnos's response:
The trick to what Debbie is saying is that you need to go through a Ticket to Work program to receive those benefits. I am going through this process right now. Starting with Avon to test cognitive and concentration skills and if that goes well, move on to something better. So far, I don't see that happening, but time will tell.

As for the article, it is something to think about. I know the Epilepsy Foundation told me right up front that if I was applying for work under no circumstances was I to disclose that I have a seizure disorder. They basically told me to wait until one happened on their property and not to advise them even after that. And this was an agency built in part to protect a specific population of disabled people.

I honestly don't think any amount of governmental change will put more disabled people to work than "normal" people. I am worried, however, about the recent healthcare reforms which will put more people on Medicaid. There seems to be no funding for this move and I think those of us who qualify to have our premiums paid will loose that benefit.

Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops... at all. ~Emily Dickinson

ddnos replied to melly2210's response:
Actually, Mel, you don't have to go through "Ticket-to-Work" to recieve those benefits I mentioned. I promise, you don't. I didn't, the folks I mentioned didn't - you really don't have to and if anyone is telling you otherwise, they are not correct in that.

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

ddnos replied to melly2210's response:
Hey Mel, I was just thinking and I hope that I didn't offend you at all by my above reply on this thread. It's just that I knew/know that one really doesn't need to use thier ticket to work to get the benefits I mentioned. I know this because I've had training in SS benefits, this was also a part of my job description at my last job, and I also currently help some former members where I worked with social security disability; one of which, helping her to get onto SSI (she doesn't qualify for SSDI, but does SSI) Hers is a complicated case, and when I don't know what to do, I have contacts to get help and advice on behalf of this person. I don't claim to be an expert on social security by any stretch of the imagination, but I am confident that I do know a bit more than the basics. So, I wanted to share that not just with you, but with anyone else who may have been reading so that it would be known that the benefits I referred to apply to anyone on disability.

ANyway, just wanted you to know that if in any way I offended or embarrassed you, I am truly sorry; that was not at all my intention. I'm hoping that you thought nothing of it.

Have a good day!
Debbie

melly2210 replied to ddnos's response:
Heck no you didn't offend me. SS just told me that not less than a week ago. But then again, it's taken 3 visits and a dozen phone calls to find out how to sign the kids up for my monthly benefits. I just really hate the process. And this Avon thing? I don't think it's gonna work out cause I have to go out and FIND people to buy this stuff. It is not a passive sale as I thought it was going to be. Oh, well. $25 invested, so it wasn't so bad.

Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops... at all. ~Emily Dickinson

beej5 replied to ddnos's response:
Here in my home state, you are require to give the agency your Ticket to work card or they won't serve you as well as Rehab counselor as well. But I landed a job with out having to use it because the person knew me from the past from consulting work for her for many years. I took the job and the online work was fun to do but in the classroom teaching, ick.

I am in the process of changing jobs but am going to stick with this job for awhile until another job opens up.

beej

ddnos replied to beej5's response:
Hey Beej and Mel, I think maybe we are talking about two different things - I was saying that the ticket to work program is not a requirement to recieve the benefits I initially spoke of. The following is what we all on disability are entitled EXCEPT if one is getting just SSI, then the rules are a bit diff than if you are on SSDI. If it doens't fit here, I'll just start a new thread.

SSDI Benefits and Employment 2012

How much can I earn before my benefits are affected?

You can gross up to $720 per month and still receive full benefits

What is Substantial Gainful Activity (SGA)?

It's your level of work activity and earnings. 2012, SGA is $1010 per month

There are ways you can gross more than the current SGA, $1010 per month

1. Subsidy - support provided by your employer that may result in your receiving more pay than the actual value of the services you perform.

2. Deductions - the cost of certain impairment-related items and services that you need to work such as medication and therapy (and more)[br>
What happens the first month I gross over $720 per month?

Your Trial Work Period (TWP) starts

What is a Trial Work Period (TWP)?

TWP is a period of time that allows you to test your ability to work

How long does the TWP last?

TWP lasts 9 months (not necessarily consecutive) where earnings exceed SGA ($1010). There is also a 3 month grace period; so total WTP is 1 yr. The entire Trial Work Period is part of a rolling 60 month (5 year) period

Will I still receive my benefits during the TWP?

Yes, you will continue to receive your full benefits as well as your earned wages regardless of how high your wages are.[br>
What happens when the TWP is over?

Extended Period of Eligibility (EPE) begins

What is the Extended Period of Eligibility (EPE)?

It is a re-entitlement period of 36 months (3 yrs) that allows you to resume receiving benefits any month that you are not working or your gross earnings go below the SGA, which is $1010 in 2012.[br>
What happens after the Extended Period of Eligibility (EPE)? If you are not working above SGA and are still eligible for benefits on the 37th month, you will continue to be eligible for benefits until you work one month at the SGA level or you medically recover.

Example: If the first month you earn above SGA ($1010) is the 38th month, then that will be the end of your Extended Period of Eligibility (EPE)[br> [br>Expedited Reinstatement (EXR)
If you have stopped receiving benefits due to being successfully employed, you may be able to restart your benefits without a new application. You will receive what is called Provisional Benefits for up to 6 months while SSA determines reinstatement eligibility. You may also be eligible for Medicare or Medicaid during this provisional period.

One of the requirements is that your request must be within 5 years from the month your benefits were terminated.

Other requirements are as follows:

? Previous entitlement to SSDI benefits was terminated due to performance of SGA
? Not be performing SGA in the month you apply for EXR;
? Be unable to work at the SGA level due to your medical condition
? Have a current medical impairment(s) that is the same as or related to the original disabling impairment(s)

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Differentiating bipolar disorder from borderline personality disorderExpert
Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which people can very easily become angry and upset in response to stresses -- especially ... More
Was this Helpful?
108 of 125 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.