Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Bipolar~ Women vs Men
Chris_WebMD_Staff posted:
Do you know others with bipolar? Do you find that women and men handle bipolar disorder differently? What's your experience?
Chrissy~

Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
Author Unknown

bpcookie responded:
Hey there (waving at Chris), The only other Bipolar that I know is my daughter. But, this is only an observation, usually women have no prob. showing their emotions. If we feel like crying, then we cry. Men on the other hand are expected to be tough and hold their emotions back. So although its not easier or harder for either sex to really handle Bipolar, I believe that they react differently to the emotional ups and downs.
The world is round and the place which may seem like the end may also be only the beginning. ~Ivy Baker Priest

ffltat responded:
I go to a Bi-polar support group every week. There are about 50 people (and growing) that show up, men and women. And they way they handle themselves is as differant as snow flakes.

It is an amazing place to go. I never feel alone even if I choose not to talk.

melly2210 responded:
I have a host of family and distant family members who have bipolar. For me, the difference is how compliant we are to treatment possibilities.

For example, ds1 does not want to medicated because he says he feels "funny." He doesn't give the medication time to work. Ex Husband is in total denial. Uncle just moves from job to job and refuses to file for SS. Cousin posts "Eeyore" type posts on FB and gets mad when no one responds. DH thinks his meds are a magic pill and has no other coping strategies. In fact, he bucks the idea of therapy.

The women I know? Cousin works very hard to keep herself level. A new co-worker in Avon is determined to make a go of it to spite the fact that she is disabled in many ways. I hunt down every possible support system, remain compliant on my medications, and I rarely wait anymore to seek professional help when things go awry.

Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops... at all. ~Emily Dickinson

mercygive responded:
I don't know anyone with bipolar disorder, maybe I do, but it never comes up in my conversations. I know my brother has problems and I know he needs to be on medications and seek therapy. My mother, grandmother and great grandmother were all treated for severe depression.

The only people I have related to regarding bipolar disorder are here on this board. From what I have noticed on this board, I think that both genders handle their disorder similarly in that their individual environments and health habits play an important role in theirs stressors and triggers.
Choose life, God's Grace and humor - mercygive

meaningfulc1952 responded:
Hi Chris,
I have a friend that is bipolar and had to quit working at a high power job. She is a lovely person and if I did not know that she is bipolar I would not even know.

She has had many things in her life that have been difficult even for any one to deal with.

I just would like some helpful hints in how to get her to open up more and let me come in her house or come in my house and visit. We are neighbors and communicate via e-mail. She does not want or like to talk on the phone.

Any help and info would be greatly appreciated.
meaningfulc52

delora_anne responded:
I am quite different from other bipolar people in that I am rather quiet and meek in personality. I don't yell, throw things or go on spending sprees like the other bipolars I know. I know men and women that both do those things. I have mixed episodes, so I will raging mad and crying at the same time, anytime anywhere, lol, so it's really embarrassing. When i've told people of my diagnosis they were shocked because i'm so quiet. I hold all the ugliness mostly inside of myself and I feel like my heart and head are going to explode ffrom the pressure. When I'm raging mad I can't speak and I shake and have to leave the situation. So I really think that everyone handles it in their own way regardless of being a man or woman.

jselleck replied to delora_anne's response:
I'm pretty compliant with my meds and my husband makes sure that I get to my doctor apointments and not only sees a couples counselor with me but makes sure I see a counselor on my own. I was taught at a young age by my mom to always take your medicine (she'd thump me on my head if I refused) and I've kept up with that. My husband's uncle on the other hand is off and on with his medicine and we never know what his behavior is going to be like. When his other uncle died two years ago we asked Tom to take us to the train station to pick up our tickets for the trip back to Dallas and he not only stood us up but broke a promise to take us to get White Castles, something we both we both looking forward to, being from the North. His Aunt only the other hand is very compliant since she was finally diagnosed. For years she ran her own dojo and kept busy with her students and competing. So like most people I guess it's just how you handle it.

JSelleck

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

TO DROP MY WEIGHT, I DROPPED THE DIET SOFT DRINKS.
Been on Zonegran for about five years and a type II diabetic for 35 years using metaformin and insulin. It appears the jury is in for me on ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 10 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.