Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Mental disorders
An_246623 posted:
I recently had to call the the DMH team to pick up my son and have him taken to the mental hospital. He refused to get help this is his third them going to the hospital. He have not been out of his room for five months. They came with the police to my house I felt so bad for him. My grandma is 82 years old can not take it anymore,so I decided to take over and get him the help he needs. I wanted to know how can he be place in a care center call Manor for mentally people his has Medical and SSI, If someone can help with placement. He is drug free,PLEASE if someone can help with housing please let me know.

Thank you
dede202@hotmail.com

Anneinside responded:
People on this community are from all over. It is VERY unlikely that anyone here would known about a program for your son where you live.... we don't even know where you live. You need to tap resources in your community. Go to the county mental health and talk to a social worker about programs available to him.

melly2210 responded:
If he was placed in a program as you said, there are social workers there to discuss situations like these. Usually, part of discharge is having a place to go. This is when that opportunity to get him into a residential program comes in. Be open about the living situations at home and about what coverages he has for care. It may mean he has a longer stay where he is until a bed opens up in a home, but at least he is safer there.

If he's already been discharged, then the United Way (usually 211 from a landline) may be able to refer you to programs. NAMI (National Alliance for Mental Illness) may also be able to refer you to a program near you as well. You can look up your local chapter and contact information here: http://www.nami.org

Good luck and thoughts are with you for your family.

Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops... at all. ~Emily Dickinson

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Screen out people who can't seem to "get it"....
There are some people who can't or won't understand at all. My wife is bipolar, and some people are more understanding than others. We ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 40 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.