Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Includes Expert Content
This Post Is Only For Dr. G
doxielover10 posted:
Hi Dr. G,

When I arrived at the hospital, DOA in total renal failure from Lithium Toxicity, Creatinin 9.0. I do not remember anything. I woke up in a ICU room, hooked to alarms, IV's etc. All I remember is confusion and fear. It wasn't until I saw my Internist come by, that I stopped crying.

My experience is different because I was at the hairdresser's and evidently just out of it. As my hairdresser was calling my husband, I bolted. I have absolutely no recollection of any of this either. According to my hairdresser, I was hallucentating, severe aphasia. I was driving a car !!! This is a small town so my husband got some people go look for me. Finally, they found me parked at the lake, just completely non compus mentis.

I grew up in Latin America, Spanish is my first language. However, I'm a Black Irish. When I start to speak Spanish, people are unbelieveably surprised. Nobody knew what to do, they needed info which they could not get. It was almost 3 days that I started to mumble but not speak. On day 3 someone in the hall was speaking Spanish and I responded as if I was the person in the hall. They dragged this poor Dr. in to translate. I had no idea what happened ? I could not understand the nurses, they finally brought someone to help. The nice Cardiologist had other work.

I had such severe Aphasia, it was weeks before it was gone. I have read everything I can find regarding my language issue with no results. Even today, if I get anxious I have an aphasia reaction.

What do you think ?
Thank you,
Best
Allison

We are having an argument over my language issue, the research I found explains that when you get to basic brain, you will speak your first language. In my case Spanish, I did not speak English until years later, but I've been speaking it for years. ???

Joseph F Goldberg, MD responded:
Dear Allison,

When people are in a delirium, they can experience a wide variety of changes in how their brains function, including changes in language and mother tongues. The singer George Michael recently had been in a coma from pneumonia and so the newspapers report, when he awoke he had lost his Northern England accent. Long-lasting effects from these changes are sometimes possible.

- Dr. G.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Patience for the Holidays and every day life
Tips 1. Boredom can make it difficult to be patient. If you're waiting in the doctor's office and the only thing you can concentrate on is ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.