Includes Expert Content
This Post Is Only For Dr. G
doxielover10 posted:
Hi Dr. G,

When I arrived at the hospital, DOA in total renal failure from Lithium Toxicity, Creatinin 9.0. I do not remember anything. I woke up in a ICU room, hooked to alarms, IV's etc. All I remember is confusion and fear. It wasn't until I saw my Internist come by, that I stopped crying.

My experience is different because I was at the hairdresser's and evidently just out of it. As my hairdresser was calling my husband, I bolted. I have absolutely no recollection of any of this either. According to my hairdresser, I was hallucentating, severe aphasia. I was driving a car !!! This is a small town so my husband got some people go look for me. Finally, they found me parked at the lake, just completely non compus mentis.

I grew up in Latin America, Spanish is my first language. However, I'm a Black Irish. When I start to speak Spanish, people are unbelieveably surprised. Nobody knew what to do, they needed info which they could not get. It was almost 3 days that I started to mumble but not speak. On day 3 someone in the hall was speaking Spanish and I responded as if I was the person in the hall. They dragged this poor Dr. in to translate. I had no idea what happened ? I could not understand the nurses, they finally brought someone to help. The nice Cardiologist had other work.

I had such severe Aphasia, it was weeks before it was gone. I have read everything I can find regarding my language issue with no results. Even today, if I get anxious I have an aphasia reaction.

What do you think ?
Thank you,
Best
Allison

We are having an argument over my language issue, the research I found explains that when you get to basic brain, you will speak your first language. In my case Spanish, I did not speak English until years later, but I've been speaking it for years. ???

Joseph F Goldberg, MD responded:
Dear Allison,

When people are in a delirium, they can experience a wide variety of changes in how their brains function, including changes in language and mother tongues. The singer George Michael recently had been in a coma from pneumonia and so the newspapers report, when he awoke he had lost his Northern England accent. Long-lasting effects from these changes are sometimes possible.

- Dr. G.