Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
insomnia/ meds question
mozzergurl posted:
I'm back to not sleeping! Ugh!!! I only got 2 hours sleep last night. Went to bed close to 5am and woke up bright and early at exactly 7am. Tried staying in bed to see if I would fall back asleep and no such luck! I don't know what to do anymore. I'm so sick of not sleeping.

I've tried Ambien(causes hallucinations), Lunesta, phenobarbitol, Restoril, Temazepam, Klonopin. They put me on high doses of Seroquel to help me sleep and nothing. I've been on a few other meds for sleep but can't remember their names. But all those meds will work for maybe 4-5 days, if I'm lucky they'll work for a week or two then my body will build a tolerance to them and I'll have to increase doses til I reach max dose and still nothing. So frustrating.

Does anyone else have this problem? And if so, how do you cope? Or what have you found to be successful for your insomnia? Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Also, if there are any meds out there that I might not have tried that you know of, I'd like to hear about them.

Thank you for your time and for any feedback I receive.

Mozzergurl
The Sanest Days Are Mad... - Morrissey

delora_anne responded:
I take Lamictal 200mg and what you described sounds just like what I'm going through. My doctor is having me use herbal supplements like chamomile and valerian root. It helps some, but makes me feel funny, so I wonder if I should really be mixing the two. One of the things that helps me is drug free, such as listening to sleep hypnosis audio and doing visualization/relaxation mind exercises.

melly2210 replied to delora_anne's response:
I take Lamictal 200mg too, but it is part of my morning doses because according to my pdoc has the fewest sedating side effects. My night time doses consist of 300mg of Seroquel, 600 mg of Trileptal, 10mg of Klonapin and 10mg of Ambien. The Ambien is a new addition of about 3 weeks. It worked at first, but I'm really struggling to get to sleep. We're talking 3-5 hours to finally calm enough to get to sleep. I'm not manic, so I've ruled that out. I think this month I am personally going to add Melatonin to the mix to see if it helps. If it doesn't, then there will be an earlier call to the pdoc than the next appt. Herbal teas and the sleep hypnosis has never helped me. I did find hot, soaking baths with a relaxing scent like vanilla helped, but I don't have a tub where I am currently living.

Melatonin is the natural chemical your brain produces to cause you to sleep. Obviously, that is something we're both missing. So this is my plan.

Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops... at all. ~Emily Dickinson

mozzergurl replied to melly2210's response:
I've tried melatonin, cascara sagrada, valerian root, chamomile, mint, lemongrass, cactus juice, chinese herbs, accupunture, massage meditation, breathing exercises, yoga...You name it, I've tried it. Now I take 1100-1200mg of Seroquel, 200mg of Lamictal, 400mg Trazodone, 20mg Propanolol, 75mg Lyrica, 120mg Geodon and 50mg Topamax... I think that's it... but still only sleep 2-3 hours on a regular basis... once a week I'll get a good night 5-6 hours... then if I'm lucky and I'm starting a new med or just upping a dose I'll sleep 9-10 hours.... I do take baths but that just helps me relax it doesn't help lull me to sleep.

Dr. Goldberg what's your opinion of this, do you have any ideas on how to treat, treatment resistant bp1 and insomnia???? I'd be curious to know what you think about my situation

mozzergurl replied to mozzergurl's response:
Oh, and I can't take benzos.. habit forming... I was up to 20mg qd for any relief it took FOREVER to get off of them!!!!

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Screen out people who can't seem to "get it"....
There are some people who can't or won't understand at all. My wife is bipolar, and some people are more understanding than others. We ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 40 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.