Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Newly diagnosed and wondering what's next?
An_246913 posted:
I am still struggling with the idea of manic depression and the toll its taken on me for, I would estimate,for at least 5 years. I am beginning treatment on Lamictal after being weaned off of Effexor. The withdrawal has been very difficult and my home life has really suffered for it. The rage I would say has been very hard to control, and I'm hoping for a manic episode just to be motivated enough to clean up the house. Sad as that may sound, the depression is very crippling and a dirty home only makes it worse. When does the healing really begin, and is there a light at the end of this very long tunnel?

bpcookie responded:
Hello there, Its nice to meet you and welcome to the board. If your having difficulties weaning yourself off of Effexor then maybe your going too fast. Talk to your Dr. about slowing down the process. I had to wean myself off of a med. and my pdoc wanted me to do it with in 3 months time but it was too difficult. So I weaned myself off of it with in 6 months time. It was far easier to do it that way.

Once your on the proper med. mix and dosage then you will start to feel so much better. So, yes, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
The world is round and the place which may seem like the end may also be only the beginning. ~Ivy Baker Priest

Anneinside responded:
Unfortunately, every one of us are different and so is how often/when bipolar is manifested. No one can tell you when an episode will end and when another one will begin. You just have to take care of yourself the best you can, stick to your meds, see a therapist and psychiatrist regularly. Is there a light? Yes, but the episodes will be back too. Some people rapid cycle and other goes years between episodes. I fit the definition of rapid cycling - 4 or more episodes a year, while others change hour by hour. Keep up with your psychiatrist and work to get a good mix of meds that keeps you as stable as possible.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Screen out people who can't seem to "get it"....
There are some people who can't or won't understand at all. My wife is bipolar, and some people are more understanding than others. We ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 40 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.