Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
sleep is screwed up
tmcgrath112 posted:
well its 4:35 am in the east and I havent slept yet it seems to me i can never get a good sleeping pattern, think maybe i need a job? or go to school or something, my doc said no bc of the stress and it might trigger an episode, I dont believe him. What should I do about my time clock?

sandtiger responded:
I'm not sure of your situation or anything, so most of this will be general, I'm afraid "026

First thing, check your caffeine intake, especially how late you drink it, and what your eating habits are like. When I have pretty bad issues sleeping, often enough I realize I've gotten into the habit of having a soda in the late afternoon or with dinner and this has caused it [although not always, because manic episodes cause me to stay awake, too>.

Do you like hot tea? If you've never had it — try it. They have nice ones that are for de-stressing or for going to sleep, which have chamomile and jasmine and such in it, and believe it or not that does help as well.

A regular dose of melatonin each night, taken with your nightly meds, has been a life-saver for me for years"026 just check with your doc first, though. I was 'accidentally' put on multiple sedative-type meds a few months ago, and of course the melatonin added to that sedative effect, to the point where I almost slept through work all day every day — for weeks.

Also try a warm/hot shower in the bathroom, with the lights off. That can help to slow your body down and trick your mind into thinking its already cozy-ing down for the night.

Others say to exercise a bit, enough to wear yourself out a decent bit, but not within a few hours of trying to sleep, because it will raise your endorphins and will make it harder to rest. So, early afternoon for that would be best"026.

Good luck. ^_^

~ San
:: Living is more than just being alive - Anberlin ::

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Medications for BPD
Please get a second opinion if you have chronic problems with your BPD medication. I changed doctors and got a proper diagnosis from ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.