Skip to content


Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Hey Ddnos need help please!!!
jselleck posted:
Hey Debbie, you used to work/volunteer for a non-profit that dealt with social security didn't you??? Well I need some advice please. It's looking more and more like I'm going to have to take a part time job just to make ends meet and I need to know how much I can make a month without it affecting my disability. Would appreciate any info you can give me. Hope you sis's apt turns out okay. Will be praying for her. Take care my friend.

ddnos responded:
Hi Jessica, you can gross up to $1010 per month working part time and still recieve your benefits - IF you haev SSDI. If you have just SSI, then the numbers are diffrent.

Also, you can count expenses - example, if there's any monthly expense that you have that if you didn't have, you couldn't work, then that could be counted as an expense, therefore, increasing the amount you could gross each month.

Example, if you have to pay $100 a month (out of pocket) on medication (that without which, you wouldn't be able to work) then what you could gross per month goes up to $1110. You would have to provide monthly proof to SS of those expensisves if you gross more than $1010.

I hope that helps. Any more questions, just let me know. OH, and if you do start working part time, you need to report it to Social Security.

Have a good day
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown
ddnos replied to ddnos's response:
PS, I assume you know this, but when grossing up to $1010 per month, you still keep all of your disability benefits.
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown
Anneinside responded:
If you have food stamps, medicaid, Section 8 it could effect them negatively. I would check with a social worker to be sure about that before I started back to work.
ddnos replied to Anneinside's response:
Yes, your food stamp amount would go down, but grossing up to !010 per month would compensate for that, i.e. you wouldn'tt need the same amount or any food stamps if you get a part time job and still keep your benefits.

Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
73 of 97 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.