Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Worse over time? [Slight trigger?]
sandtiger posted:
I've been having a lot of difficulty the past couple of weeks, and it's starting to concern me … I'm an ultra-rapid cycler, and for the first time this past winter I went through a depressive stage and was hospitalized, then put on different "stabilizer" meds and screwed with me pretty badly. I'm still on my basic 'core' meds, and we ended up just adding Klonopin and upping my Celexa, which seems to help for a good while.

Then things went downhill again. I started using FMLA like every week, sometimes multiple times a week, and it wasn't just because of laziness. It took me a while to realize I was in a depressive state again, and cycling pretty badly when I wasn't there.

Long story short {ha!}, I've heard that those with BP, their condition gets worse over time — the older they get. Like, no matter what. Even if they are well stabilized for YEARS, gradually or suddenly their cocktail ceases to work appropriately or at all, and the condition itself becomes harder to control.

Has anyone else heard of this? And, any suggestions?

Thanks, luvs!
~ San
:: Living is more than just being alive - Anberlin ::

mommaange1 responded:
From my own personal experience, when I turned 40 things really changed and after all these years I have become very unstable. I've been in the hospital 3 times since July of 2011. I have have had medication changes like every month so. My tdoc describes me as blowing in the wind. I have done bunches of blood work checking for answers, which there really nothing outstanding. It's my personal opinion that is your bodies hormone changes that happen as you get older. I have no prof but just by tracking it, that is sure what it seems like. What does your pdoc say??? Mine says it my stress and anxiety. No real suggestions except to keep trying new combos and hope you hit on one. That is what I am doing. Have you applied for disability. That is what I did. My records proved I have been a mess for years and I got approved 1st time because of all my records. I gave up my job of 21 years to stay home and collect the disability since work was impossible.

Good Luck, Angel
If We Couldn't Laugh, We Would All Go Insane :)

sandtiger responded:
Oops ... I meant to say the depressive episode I experienced the end of last year lasted for 2 months - which is the longest I've ever had one...

Angel - yeah, I really need to talk to my pdoc about my meds, possibly trying another mood stabilizer in addition to the one I already have. He tried that but like I said above {or tried to say ... my head's kind of wonky today}, I had really bad reactions to them - we tried Depakote and Seroquel and Risperdal, all at different times, of course.

I've been without a tdoc for a while now, but thank goodness I finally got a new pt appt next week. We'll see how that goes.... I don't think he's covered under my insurance, so he'll probably cost me a pretty penny.

I've thought about disability, but I think I would be denied because I've had my job 7 years and can still technically work. Plus, I have to keep the pay-scale I have now; I'm a single parent and just got my house back, still paying on my car, etc etc, and going on disability would severly cut down the finances coming in the door. =(

luvs,
~ San

ddnos replied to sandtiger's response:
I had my job for 11 years before applied for disdabitlity - the point was that i was no longer able to work - it didn't matter how many years i'd worked up to that point.
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

Anneinside responded:
I have heard before that bipolar gets worse as you age, but the statements also included, if not stabilized with medication. However, if you are getting worse then it becomes harder to become stabilized.

I have had bipolar (undiagnosed, depression instead of BP) since early 20's and then diagnosed when I was 42 as I started spiraling out of control with multiple hospitalizations for suicide attempts.

sandtiger replied to Anneinside's response:
Annie - you're right. Now that I think about it, I do believe that most of them said if they weren't being treated... still, I've been concerned. =/

I'll ask my pdoc about it the next time I see him {unfortunately, not until Octobr}, and see what his advice is.

Thank you SO much, everyone!

luvs,
~ San

skypper replied to sandtiger's response:
That's what I've heard and may even have read at some point, that bipolar becomes worse over time and with age if left untreated.
That being said, as we age our bodies hormone levels do fluctuate and that may explain why a med combo that worked for so long suddenly becomes less effective or though i hope not ineffective.
My best advice would be to work with your pdoc and carefully monitor med adjustments and chart your moods daily. A tdoc would be really helpful too, and reducing stress of course, though I've always laughed when my docs told me that because my question is always "HOW?" with kids, they don't have a shut off or mommy needs quiet space setting, they're just naturally little bundles of energy and always know how to push our buttons...
You asked me about the exercise and I can honestly say that I think it has helped me with my "down-moods" especially after, it gives me a sort of natural buzz and feel good feeling...maybe you could even work it in with your lil one too, perhaps afternoon/evening walks, hikes, roller-skating, bike rides? Get a group together and do it as a group if that feels better...me i'm a bit of a lone wolf, i like to exercise or go for walks on my own to help clear my head...

I hope it all works out and you start to feel better...I'll keep thinking of ideas and let you know if anything pops into my head

Lotsa love to you!!!!
~mc
~Sky~
I've never fooled anyone.They didn't bother to find out who

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Medications for BPD
Please get a second opinion if you have chronic problems with your BPD medication. I changed doctors and got a proper diagnosis from ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.