Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
EMDR-May Trigger
beej5 posted:
[TRIGGER] I had my therapy appt a few days ago and she was talking about EMDR and how it can help people who experienced trauma or ptsd.

Trigger

I was raped last year by the apt's security guard who was harassing me until he got what he wanted. I still can't get it out of my mind and its like replaying over and over. I just wish it was gone but I just rather die to feel the pain.

Have any of you tried EMDR? I am curious how did it help. If it doesn't then I am not wasting my time on it.

My goal is to get better but seems I keep going backwards. It is frustrating.

beej

ddnos responded:
Hi Beej, you might want to have a look at the following site.

http://emdr.com/general-information/what-is-emdr/what-is-emdr.html
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

ddnos responded:
Just in case you don't see this book on the site I shared earlier. It's a book "Whether we've experienced small setbacks or major traumas, we are all influenced by memories and experiences we may not remember or don't fully understand. Getting Past Your Past offers practical procedures that demystify the human condition and empower readers looking to achieve real change"

http://emdr.com/getting-past-your-past.html

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

beej5 replied to ddnos's response:
Thanks Debbie, I will look at it after I get off of work today if I have any energy left.

beej

Chris_WebMD_Staff replied to beej5's response:
(((((((((hugs))))))))))))
Chrissy~

Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
Author Unknown

Gem_in_I responded:
beej,
I'm so sorry that happened to you! I have been raped too. My therapist recommended EMDR to me too. From experience in time the pain becomes less ominous and the flashbacks occur less frequently. I hope that through EMDR for both of us that we can move forward and no longer be haunted by the trauma. I am going to try EMDR because its a chance I will get better and from where I am right now there is not much to loose. Something that being raped did that was most destructive in my life is it made me believe I was still victim expecting nothing better from a man so instead of enduring them taking it away from me again... I just gave it to them... it was demeaning and in no way brought healing! I am telling you that in hopes you will not do the same thing! I am sending loving positive energy your way! Hope that something I said is helpful!

Ashleigh

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 91 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.