Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Includes Expert Content
bipolar & fanapt
raydunlap posted:
am new to this but anyway i have bi-polar type 2 and i just started fan-
apt i am still felling really strange i would like to know if anybody who
takes this drug how long does this feeling last and when does this drug kick in to get rid of the hearing,seeing things ends

Joseph F Goldberg, MD responded:
Dear raydunlap.

Just to clarify...hallucinations or other psychotic symptoms can be part of bipolar I disorder, but by definition are not part of bipolar II disorder. Fanapt has been studied in schizophrenia, but it has not been studied in bipolar disorder. As an antipsychotic, though, it would probably work in psychotic disorders other than schizophrenia. Usually the dosing is gradually brought up from 1 mg twice a day to a therapeutic range of 6-12 mg/day (or higher, up to 24 mg/day) because of the potential for Fanapt to cause low blood pressure initially. Your doctor should be monitoring your blood pressure in helping to decide if an effective dose is in the 12-24 mg/day range...or, for that matter, if a different antipsychotic (especially if mood symptoms are accompanying the psychotic symptoms are present) would be a more effective alternative,
Dr. G.

raydunlap replied to Joseph F Goldberg, MD's response:
thanks for the information i wasn't watching what i was typing
and i am bipolar type1 not 2 i was talking to my theripst and
she said that this is a normal thing for me i really don't like the
this feeling is there anything that i can do to curb the hallucin
ations

Joseph F Goldberg, MD replied to raydunlap's response:
Dear Raydunlap,

Antipsychotic medicines are the mainstay of treatment for psychosis. In addition to Fanapt, other better-established antipsychotics for psychosis in bipolar disorder include Zyprexa, Risperidone, Abilify, Geodon, Seroquel, and nolder-fashioned antipsychotics such as Haldol, Prolixin, Stelazine, Thorazine, Trilafon, and many others. There are many medicines in this broad family and they vary in their potency and side effects, which should be discussed fully with your doctor in making best treatment decisions.

Dr. G.

Asily2422 replied to Joseph F Goldberg, MD's response:
Hi I have question. I was diagnosed with bipolar type 2, PTSD,antic depressive disorder, panic attacks and anxiety. I'm on lamictal, vyvanse, viibryd, and doxepin. Can you tell me why my psychiatrist just prescribed Fanapt for me even though I have no signs of schizoprenia? It worries me to take it cause I'm not schizophrenic in anyway. This really worries me!

Joseph F Goldberg, MD replied to Asily2422's response:
Dear Asily, I can't tell you why your doctor chose a particular medication, but he or she certainly should be able to. Fanapt is an antipsychotic that (so far at least) has been studied just in schizophrenia. Like most other antipsychotics, it probably has value in mania, but hasn't yet been studied for that purpose. Some studies suggest it may have less weight gain than older atypical antipsychotics such as Seroquel or Zyprexa. It would seem worthwhile to ask your doctor why he believes an antipsychotic is indicated, and if so, how he's chosen from among the ones that have vs. haven't been studied in bipolar disorder. Dr. G.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
69 of 92 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.