Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Therapists
tmcgrath112 posted:
My therapist is not looking out for my best interest, I feel like he is to old school and really doesn't understand what I'm going through. Is it my fault because I can not express myself to him, or is it his fault for not understanding what I'm going through? Should I excercise a different option, or should I give him a second chance?

babybleu_4u responded:
finding the right theraphist is very hard,, and im sure we have all struggled from time to time, I have been both blessed with a few amazing ones, and have had my share of ones that just didn't work.
My advice is to try and work it out and be pretty blunt with how your feeling and what you need from him, if he feels he can help you in the way you need to be helped then move forward but if he still doesn't seem to understand or respect your needs then you always have the right to try another theraphist.

DizzyJgirl responded:
I was with my first therapist for a long time. She did help me but things kind of got "stale" after a while (the same conversations which were maybe my fault). She retired and I was kind of upset but she gave me the name of a new therapist to try and it has been wonderful to have a change. My new therapist is close to my age and "gets it". She did tell me to be honest about what I wanted and after a few visits she asked me if I felt it was working out. She was very professional about that.
How long have you been with your therapist? If you are questioning it, I say listen to your instincts and move on. I wish I had left my first therapist sooner than I did but at any rate, I am happy with my new therapist.
Good luck!
Live Life Loud

slik_kitty responded:
therapy is supposed to help you. if it doesn't, then it is time for a change.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Differentiating bipolar disorder from borderline personality disorderExpert
Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which people can very easily become angry and upset in response to stresses -- especially ... More
Was this Helpful?
108 of 125 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.