Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
still not understanding
1963lostwoman posted:
have been diagnosed with bipolar depression 4 yrs ago; i feel that i still do not understand any better today then i did on day 1. i do not like my psych dr and i am going to change. is having a neuroligist (?) helpful? i am going back into therapy after the first of the month. my work is changing insurance plans so i am not sure yet on what they cover; that is why i have not done this yet.
all i know is that i need help; i just dont know what kind. any advice?

Fonziedude responded:
although I'm in the same boat as you kinda. I know there are many resources everywhere. Study as much as you can there is so much info out there very helpful some that work some don't. Everyone is different. I'm so glad there is this website. This is my first step in my new questions. You ever thought about finding a Nam group? Yes having 1 on 1 is great but being in a room with other people with silimar problems makes you understand more. Also the fact your not alone any more.

slik_kitty responded:
I don't think a neurologist is necessary. if you are unhappy with your pdoc, then change. find someone who can explain things better to you so that you do understand what is going on. therapy will help immensely too.

sandtiger responded:
This board is a great place to come and pose questions or just chat when things are going rough and/or very, very, VERY well (lol!). So this is a good starting point from here on out.

A Neurologist won't be able to help you, although some think they might ... I work in a hospital primarily for Neurologists and Neurosurgeons, and everything they work with is physical - the physical nerves/muscles/etc that are affected due to an injury or other.

A new psychiatrist - a "pdoc" - would be ideal, if you aren't satisfied with the one you have, and setting up an appointment with a therapist - a "tdoc" - can be greatly beneficial, too.

Honestly, a lot of what I learned and felt assured with came from this board, as my physicians aren't always easy to reach when my questions came up. If I read something or just have a random thought and want to compare it, to see if realistically others experience or have noticied the same, whether about meds or other, the people on this board have always been a fantastic help.

~ San
:: Living is more than just being alive - Anberlin ::

1963lostwoman responded:
trying make appt new new psych dr. really need to see someone soon. things are getting really bad; having alot of aniexty attacks. hopefully i can find out more about getting appt today.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Differentiating bipolar disorder from borderline personality disorderExpert
Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which people can very easily become angry and upset in response to stresses -- especially ... More
Was this Helpful?
109 of 126 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.