Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Your Dream Job
Chris_WebMD_Staff posted:
I love my Job. So it got me wondering, are you working at your dream job?
If not, what is your dream job, if you could work anywhere, what would you do? Where would it be?
Chrissy~

Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
Author Unknown

ddnos responded:
In my previous job, I worked with adults with mental illness(es), and I loved it! There were certain aspects of the job that if I could, I would change, which would be my "dream job" for now.

I have NO idea where it would be, as in, what organization, but I have somewhat of an idea of what I would be doing.

Where I worked, the mission was to teach our members that they could live a productive, meaningful life in spite of thier mental illness. Some of them needed help with social skills, some wanted to go back to work or work for the first time and so we helped them find jobs, some were interested in going to school to learn a trade, so we assisted in every aspect of what it took to get them there, some just needed to be around people and feel like they belonged and everyone who wanted to contributed to the running of the business. The staff didn't run the place, but the staff AND members! Staff were no better than members but were there simply to make sure of accountability and to teach members various roles within the business. Everyone worked together. We had various work units where staff were responsible to teach and facilitate such as Business/Computer; Accounting; House Cleaning; Cooking, Research, etc......We wanted our members to feel needed, wanted, and expected when they came in.

I'm not doing a very good job describing this job because I don't do that very well, ie. put concepts into concrete words, but it's in my head if you want to climb in there. lol

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

bpcookie responded:
I would love to be an artist again. I miss it.
The world is round and the place which may seem like the end may also be only the beginning. ~Ivy Baker Priest

mattthecat responded:
I have found my dream job. But most people think I am out of my mind when I say what I do and that I enjoy it so much. I am a security officer and most people think that is a low level dead end job. For me it is not about the money, prestige or advancement opportunities. I honestly enjoy working unarmed security and to this day I can not think of any other job that could fit who i am more perfect than being a security officer. I am a big fan of following your dreams no matter where they leads you.
Good post.
thanks

Matt

DizzyJgirl responded:
I can't come up with an answer. I have always told my boys that they need to find a job they love. It isn't about money, it is about happiness. Honestly, one of my best jobs was cashier at a grocery store. Not what I went to college for but oh well. lol

Depending on the day, my dream job would be: a writer, an actress, a singer, a scientist of some sort, or just be filthy rich and spend my time doing random acts of kindness (yes, think that is my favorite).
Live Life Loud

slik_kitty responded:
my dream job would be having my own animal rescue. get a place with some land in the mtns and take in all the scared and homeless animals that come my way. so someone needs to win me some lottery money. he he he

jselleck replied to slik_kitty's response:
Silk I'm with you!!! Bring on the strays!!! My folks live out in the country and have some land. We were always taking in strays that were dropped off at a relative's place or in the road in many cases. My Ralphie was a good example of that. Him and his sister Mina were dropped in the middle of the road by the graveyard barely old enough to fend for themselves. Right now my parents have over 18 cats and a dog names Aussie. They spend a lot on cat food. ha ha. But really, if I could do whatever I wanted it would be to run a no kill shelter if possible or at least do more volunteer work at my local shelter. I miss it.

slik_kitty responded:
hopefully i have found my dream job. i love what i do, but hate the company i work for. now i have a new job and start oct 15th in a small company that is growing.

ddnos replied to slik_kitty's response:
Wow Kitty! I didn't know that you got a new job! I knew you didn't much care for where you are and stuff, but didn't know you were looking for a new job. So is it in the same field as the one you're currently at? I'm happy for you and hope that this new job and the people you will be working for and with will be much better than where you've been!

Good luck and congratulations!

Hugs
Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

slik_kitty replied to ddnos's response:
thanks dd. i wasn't really looking. this one fell in my lap so to speak. it helps to know people in this industry. i will be doing the same kind of job, but will be more in charge because i have to help them build the wet chem dept. they are a very small company owned by 3 brothers and are planning on expanding. so this job has great potential and was an opportunity i couldn't pass up.

ddnos replied to slik_kitty's response:
I'm so happy for you, Kitty! I know that you weren't too happy at your other place, so this looks like it will be a great improvement! Please keep me (us) posted on how the job goes!

I'm just so happy for you, Kitty, I'm grinning from ear to ear right now!

Hugs
Debbie

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

TO DROP MY WEIGHT, I DROPPED THE DIET SOFT DRINKS.
Been on Zonegran for about five years and a type II diabetic for 35 years using metaformin and insulin. It appears the jury is in for me on ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 10 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.