Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
blood tests - OT
ddnos posted:
I finally got cathe to explain to me my blood tests. She told me at first that they mean i was losing blood, but she ddin't say any further. What the tests mean is that I could be losing blood internally, which is why they did the most obvious test of checking my intestines. I am waiting for the results of one more test, and if that one doesn't show bleeding, i asked cathe what next. She said that there could be many reaons for low blood count and so she would send me to a hematologist to see if he/she can figure out why my blood is low.

I saw her for my pain in low back/hip and other new areas and she did absolutely nothing. i mean, i ddn't expect her to do anything, but I ddn't expect her to say, "i don't know what to do. I don't knw who to refer you to" and that was the end of the appt. In 20 years, she has NEVER done that! She's always trying something, right or wrong. I emailed her when i got home, but haven't heard back. I know she won't remeber to send me to the hematologist if test is ok - I will have to remind her. I was going to change doctors about a yaer or so ago when she did some stuff, then decided to stay because i didnt see her much; now been having to see her and she's messing up. She just turned 69 and probably should have retired about 2 or so years ago. I just don't know where to go. She was going make a referral of someone she knows and go with me to meet the person and share some of the bigger thigns abotu me. After 20 years with her, kind of hard to tell her i want to start seeing someone else. She's been THE best health care provider for me the majority of the years ive been with her and i'm truly grateful for all she's done for me - i really am. so it's sad that someone who at one time was so extremely brilliant at what she did is now going downhill in part due to age, in other part, some health problems. It's sad. It almost feels like a betrayal to go see someone else.
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

ibex7 responded:
Debbie,
Please do not neglect seeing a hematologist because of your friendship with your primary provider. Hematology testing can relieve your worry about many conditions from diet and hemorrhage to cancer.
Wishing you the best of health.

ddnos replied to ibex7's response:
Thanks goat, but I don't ahve a friendship with my primary provider. I may not have worded myself very well in what I meant re her......she's getting older and so her memory has been suffering, which in turn has caused her not to be as sharp in her skills as she used to be. I'm a bit frustrated with her and her husband (a doctor) because she should have retired at le`aest a couple years ago.

What I meant re the hematologist was that she told me that she would refer me to one if my most recent test comes out normal. My point was that likely she wouldn't remember that's what she is going to do, and that also, she is having me take poly iron and I should take that for at leaest a month then get my blood tested again, and THEN go to a hematologist based on the results of that blood test (which would be the 3rd one) But I have to do her thinking for her and be her memory, and I don't like that. So my first thought was that I was just going to be stubborn and not remind her, and wait a month or two and then bring it her her husband again so that he sees that she's failing to treat properly. THey work in the same office. I talked with him once before but I don't think he really heard me. This time he might if I just wait for my doc to do her job and if she doesn't, give him one more piece of info against her. There's going to be a lawsuit against her one of these days if she doens't hurry up and retire. I know I can choose to see someone else, and I will. It's just been hard because I've seen her for 20 years and she's helped me more than words can say over those years. What makes it a bit harder is that she's supposed to refer me to someone else and then go to that doctor with me to discuss major points in my file with the new person. It's just sort of awkward.

I won't need to see a hematologist if we take the blood test one more time and this time is normal. Two times my blood has been low, which is why they've been looking into my intestines to see if any bleeding.

Sorry so rambling.
Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Differentiating bipolar disorder from borderline personality disorderExpert
Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which people can very easily become angry and upset in response to stresses -- especially ... More
Was this Helpful?
110 of 127 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.